Vegan Pigs in a Blanket or Jackfruit Pigs in a Blanket are Vegan, and Delicious Appetizers, alternative to the authentic recipe.
These Vegan Pigs in a Blanket are the closest tasting recipe.
Its a kid friendly recipe and is so easy to make with simple pantry staple ingredients which you already have at hand.
Pigs in a Blanket is such a nostalgic appetizer, especially for Christmas.
But in my home, my Mom used to make it for Super Bowls or Memorial Day or Thanksgiving Appetizers as well!
We just love the satisfying taste and texture of Pigs in a Blanket. Its something I have grown up eating.
But then came the idea of making Vegan Pigs in a Blanket.
After a lot of trial and testing, finally I approved this recipe of Vegan Jackfruits in a Blanket.
Jackfruits in a Blanket
Jackfruit has a meaty texture to it which closely resembles to Cocktail Sausages used in traditional Pigs in a Blanket recipe.
Many people tend to use Tofu or Chickpea Nuggets but I personally love the use of Jackfruit in this recipe.
Also, Jackfruit is not only vegan but a healthy fruit with loads of health benefits.
I love to use Frozen Jackfruits for this recipe, because they are easy to use.
Also, I prefer the unripe Jackfruits which are easily distinguishable from the yellow and ripe ones.
These unripe Jackfruits are not at all sweet and gives the perfect meaty texture we are looking for in our Pigs in a Blanket.
When I talk about Pigs in a Blanket, I am actually talking about the best thing you can ever make in your kitchen.
These Vegan Pigs in a Blanket will leave you wanting for more!
Perfect appetizer for Parties or Weekend fun, you will love making these Vegan Pigs in a Blanket.
The Cocktail Sauce
I make a quick Cocktail sauce in which I dip the Jackfruit slices and soak them for 30 minutes.
This leaves them extra delicious and juicy and they do not get dry even after cooking.
I make the Cocktail sauce using Maple Syrup, Soy Sauce, Smoked Paprika, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Ketchup, Flour, Salt. These make the Jackfruit taste so good.
- Jackfruits in a Blanket
- The Cocktail Sauce
- What do you need to make Pigs in a Blanket?
- How to make Pigs in a Blanket Recipe from Scratch?
- STEP 1: PRICK THE JACKFRUIT
- STEP 2: PREP THE JACKFRUIT
- STEP 3: MAKING THE PASTRY DOUGH
- STEP 4: ROLL THE DOUGH OVER JACKFRUIT
- STEP 5: BAKE
- STEP 6: SERVE
- How to store Vegan Pigs in a Blanket?
- What to serve Pigs in a blanket with?
- Gimme more Vegan Appetizers Recipes
- Tips to make the Best Vegan Pigs in a Blanket
- Is canned dough better or a homemade one?
- What can we use for making Vegan pigs in a blanket?
- Recipe Card
- Vegan Pigs in a Blanket (Jackfruit in a Blanket)
What do you need to make Pigs in a Blanket?
1. Frozen Jackfruit (thawed)
2. Maple Syrup,
3. Soy Sauce
4. Smoked Paprika
5. Garlic powder
6. Onion Powder
10. All-purpose flour (use Gluten Free Baking Flour Blend).
11. Baking Powder
12. Vegan Butter
13. Sugar ( any sugar of your choice)
14. Kosher salt
15. Plant Milk
18. Turmeric Powder
19. Caraway seeds
How to make Pigs in a Blanket Recipe from Scratch?
STEP 1: PRICK THE JACKFRUIT
- The first step is to ready the Jackfruit. Unripe frozen Jackfruits are perfect for this recipe as they come in the perfect small size for making Vegan Pigs in a blanket.
- You need to make sure to pat them dry with paper towels.
- In addition to that, you should use a fork to prick the Jackfruits.
- This will ensure the Jackfruit "sausages" don’t remain uncooked on the insides.
STEP 2: PREP THE JACKFRUIT
- In a large mixing bowl, combine Maple Syrup, Soy Sauce, Smoked Paprika, Garlic powder, Onion Powder, Ketchup, Flour, Salt.
- Whisk until combined
- Pour this mixture over the Jackfruit slices. Toss to combine.
- Wrap the dish with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- This will allow the Jackfruit slices to soak in the flavors of the sauce and make them extra juicy and delicious.
STEP 3: MAKING THE PASTRY DOUGH
If you're using Crescent Rolls, you can skip this step. This is only when you're making Pigs in a Blanket from scratch and need to make the pastry dough at home.
- In a food processor, pulse together, AP Flour, Baking Powder, Sugar and Salt.
- Next, add the Vegan Butter stick, cut into cubes along with any Plant Milk of your choice.
- Pulse again for 30 seconds at high speed until it forms a dough.
- Now, get the dough out of the food processor.
- Dust the Rolling surface with flour. Use a roll pin to roll the dough of about 1/4 inch thickness. Keep dusting the dough with flour so that the pin doesn't stick to it.
- Take a sharp knife and start cutting strips for making pigs in a blanket. You need to cut triangles.
- Remember, the strip should be a little shorter than the "Sausage" in width. It should also be long enough to completely wrap around the Jackfruit slice. So make strips accordingly.
- If you're using Crescent rolls, wrap it and separate crescent rolls into triangles. Place the Jackfruit slice at the edge of Triangle and roll up.
STEP 4: ROLL THE DOUGH OVER JACKFRUIT
- Place the Jackfruit slice on one end of the Triangle and start rolling it over so that the Jackfruit slice gets snugly wrapped.
- Combine plant milk with a pinch of Turmeric powder in a small bowl. This is your Vegan eggwash. It will give the nice golden crust and color.
- Brush this over the Pigs in a Blanket.
STEP 5: BAKE
- Place these Vegan Pigs in a blanket in a greased baking dish.
- Top with Caraway seeds and Bake in a 375°F preheated oven for 12-15 minutes or until the top gets golden brown in color.
STEP 6: SERVE
- Your Vegan Pigs in a Blanket are ready!
- You can sprinkle Kosher Salt or flaky Sea Salt before serving them to everyone!
How to store Vegan Pigs in a Blanket?
Storing these Vegan Pigs in a blanket is very easy, which makes them among the best snacks and make ahead appetizers, you can have as a backup.
You can enjoy these Vegan Pigs in a blanket for three days if you store them the right way.
All you need to do is pack them in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator.
Whenever you want to have the stored Vegan Pigs in a Blanket again, just make sure to reheat them in the oven for a few minutes.
You can microwave them as well until heated through.
Alternatively, if you want more long-term storage then freezing pigs in a blanket is also possible. Store them in a freezer friendly zip-lock bag and freeze for 2 months. Just thaw them in the refrigerator overnight and reheat in the oven before serving.
What to serve Pigs in a blanket with?
- Baked Beans
- Mac and Cheese
- Keto Ketchup (without refined sugar)
- Avocado Crema
- Cheesy Jalapeño Cheddar Spice Dip
- BBQ Sauce
- Peanut Sauce
- Honey Mustard Sauce
Gimme more Vegan Appetizers Recipes
- Bbq Cauliflower Wings
- Vegan Chickpea Meatballs
- Sesame Cauliflower
- Grilled Tofu Kabobs
- Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Favorite Hummus Recipe
- Vegan Kebabs
- Keto Cauliflower Tater Tots
- Bang Bang Cauliflower
- Korean Cauliflower Wings
Tips to make the Best Vegan Pigs in a Blanket
- If you are running short on time and need a party appetizer like ASAP, then use Pillsbury Crescent Roll dough instead of making your own dough from scratch. Or alternatively, you can make your ahead of time for easy preparation and baking when the time comes.
- Crescent Roll dough are Vegan
- Remember to buy unripe Jackfruit and not the yellow ripe ones
- Thaw the frozen Jackfruit before use
- Remember to prick the Jackfruit with a fork or toothpick, so that it soaks in all the flavors and do not remain dry on the inside.
- You can trim the Jackfruit slice and size it into a rectangle, which is easy enough to roll, if not already done before using them.
- Do not forget to toss the Jackfruit slices in the sauce and let it rest for at least 30 minutes. This will ensure that the Jackfruit soaks up all the flavors and get extra juicy and delicious.
Is canned dough better or a homemade one?
It really depends on your requirements and preferences. If you are short on time and need to be quick, then go for the refrigerated Crescent Roll dough.
But if you can spare some extra time, then you should go for making your own dough. It will take you only ten minutes max with my recipe!
What can we use for making Vegan pigs in a blanket?
- You can use Tofu slices. Press the Tofu between two heavy dishes and then cut it into slices and use as Cocktail sausages.
- You can use Jackfruit slices like I did and use them.
- You can use Vegan Jackfruit Sausages. These are available online and many popular vegan grocery stores.
- You can use Vegan Wheat Sausages as a replacement for Cocktail sausages.
Vegan Pigs in a Blanket (Jackfruit in a Blanket)
- 2 cups Jackfruit thawed if frozen
To prep the Jackfruit
- 2 tablespoon Maple Syrup
- 1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 teaspoon Garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 tablespoon Ketchup
- 1 tablespoon AP Flour
- ½ teaspoon Salt
For the Pastry Dough (skip if using Crescent Rolls)
- 1 cup AP Flour ¼ cup more to roll the dough
- 2 sticks Vegan Butter at room temp, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- 1 teaspoon Sugar of your choice
- ½ teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ½ cup Plant milk 2 tablespoon more for milkwash
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Caraway seeds optional
- Cut the Jackfruits into rectangles so that they are easy enough to roll. Prick holes in the Jackfruit slices using a fork or toothpick. In a mixing jar, combine all the ingredients required to prep the Jackfruit. Whisk until combined. Pour this sauce mixture over the Jackfruits. Toss to combine evenly. Cover with a plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. This will ensure that the Jackfruits are not dry on the inside and get juicy and delicious.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and grease a sheet pan with oil. If you are using Crescent Rolls then unwrap it and separate it into triangles. Place the Jackfruit slice at the edge of Triangle and roll up.
- If you're making the Pastry dough from scratch, then pulse - Ap flour, cold butter cubes, salt and sugar in the food processor for 30 seconds. Then pour in the plant milk and pulse for another 30 seconds or until the mixture comes together and forms a dough. Once the dough is formed, place it on a floured surface and roll the dough using a floured rolling pin for about 1/4 inches thickness. Cut triangles and wrap the Jackfruit slices in them snugly. Combine Plant milk and Turmeric in a small bowl. Brush this milkwash over the Vegan Pigs in a Blanket.
- Place these in a greased baking dish. Top with a few Caraway seeds (if using) and Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the top gets golden brown.
- Sprinkle some flaky sea salt on top and serve with dip of your choice.
Ask Me Anything