Bursting with Summer Blackberries, this moist and soft Cornbread is the only Cornbread recipe you need for the summers. This is super easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious! Seriously this is Hands down the Best Cornbread recipe for the summers.
This Summer Berry Cornbread makes for a healthy and easy Cornbread recipe. It's great for the summers. Also, it's filled with Blackberries which are so delicious and healthy Berries.
Ingredients needed to make Blackberry Cornbread
- AP Flour
- Baking Soda
- Baking Powder
- Brown Sugar
- Melted Butter
- Fresh Blackberries
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, watch the video for a quick visual.
STEP 1: Whisk the dry ingredients
- Whisk Cornmeal with flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Keep it aside
STEP 2: Whisk the Wet Ingredients
- Whisk wet ingredients - Eggs, Honey, Melted Butter, Buttermilk, Brown Sugar, and Blackberries in a bowl.
STEP 3: Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients
- Fold until combined
- Pour this in the prepared baking dish.
- Bake @200C or 400F for 25 minutes
STEP 4: Serve
- After the Cornbread gets baked, allow it to cool down to room temperature. Cut into equal sized squares and serve.
Remember that the secret to a moist Cornbread with crispy edges is to cool it down completely before you cut it. You do not want to cut out a cornbread tha is warm and cracks on cutting.
- Almond Milk - You can skip buttermilk and use Almond milk and lemon juice as a replacement
- DIY Buttermilk - Don't have buttermilk at home. Don't worry. DIY Buttermilk by combining 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice with 1 cup of whole milk. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then use it.
- Butter - Replace Butter with Apple Sauce or Vegetable Oil for a healthier alternative.
- Brown Sugar & Honey - If you find that this is getting too sweet, then skip either Brown Sugar or Honey.
- Skillet Cornbread - There is nothing better than a skillet Cornbread. Make this recipe in a cast iron skillet using the same insturctions and ingredients. Bake for the same time.
- Browned Top - To avoid the browned top over your Cornbread, tent with a foil after 10-minutes of baking uncovered.
- Blackberry Puree - Instead of using whole Blackberries, you can use Blackberry Puree. Just add the blackberries in a pot with water and sugar and bring to a boil. As the water boils, lightly muddle the berries. After that, cool it down and strain the seeds. Use the blackberry puree to swirl over the cornbread, before baking it.
You can easily store this Summer Blackberry Cornbread. You can wrap individual pieces of Cornbread with foil and freeze this for up to 1 month. You can also freeze the entire cake for 1 month.
Thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven before you serve.
Also, you can refrigerate this for up to 2 weeks
- Use equal quantity of Flour and Cornmeal for the best results.
- If your Cornbread hasn't baked in the center, then you can bake it for longer time or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean
- You can use Fresh or Frozen Blackberries. If you're using thawed frozen Blackberries or Dried Blackberries, then just soak them in warm water for 1 hour, prior to using them.
- You can use any Summer Berries like Blueberries or Raspberries or Strawberries for this recipe.
- If you're not using Buttermilk, you can use Whole Milk as well.
- You can use Vegetable Oil in place of butter, your cake will be moist and fluffy, however, butter gives this a wonderful buttery taste.
- You can use Granulated Sugar as its traditionally done in all other Cornbread recipes. However, I feel the combination of Brown Sugar and Honey gives it the best taste.
OTHER SUMMER DESSERTS TO TRY
- Summer No Bake Berry Lasagna Dessert
- No-Bake Mini Blackberry Cheesecake (Vegan)
- Blueberry Dump Cake
- Blueberry Donuts in Air Fryer (without Yeast)
- Blueberry Chamomile Swirl Cheesecake Bars
- The Best Mini Blueberry Cheesecake
- Best Homemade Blueberry Pie
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies
- Blueberry Pie Cups with Meringue
- Mini Peanut Butter Cheesecakes with Chocolate Ganache
- Lemon Chiffon Pie (No Bake Creamy Lemon Pie)
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Summer Blackberry Cornbread
- 1 CUP AP Flour
- 1 CUP Cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1 cup Fresh Blackberries
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 1½ tablespoon Honey
- 1 Large Egg at room temp.
- 1 cup Buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 400F or 200C. Whisk Cornmeal with Flour, Baking Soda, Baking Powder, and Salt together in a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together Eggs, Buttermilk, Melted Butter, Brown Sugar, and Honey.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients. Fold using a rubber or silicone spatula. Fold the Blackberries in the same mixture. Do not overmix. Transfer this to a baking dish.
- Bake in a 400F or 200C preheated oven for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After it gets baked, get it out of the oven. Cool it down completely and then cut and serve.
Ask Me Anything