Stuffed Shells with Spinach and Ricotta served in Alfredo sauce is a creamy, comforting, and delightful dinner recipe that is bound to make you happy. Just like these Broccoli Stuffed Chicken Breast with Cream Cheese
Jumbo Pasta Shells are cooked until al dente. Then they are stuffed with sauteed Spinach, Ricotta, and Mozzarella. And, then it is kept on a creamy homemade Alfredo Sauce. Finally, they are placed in a baking dish and it's baked until the cheese turns brown on top.
- 30-minute Ricotta Stuffed Shells
- 🥘 Ingredients you Need to make Stuffed Shells:
- 👩🍳 How to Make Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells?
- 🗒️ Other Variations:
- What to do with Remaining Alfredo Sauce?
- 💯 Tips to make this Recipe Effectively:
- Other Spinach Recipes you can Make:
- More Comfort Food Dinners
- Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells in Alfredo Sauce
30-minute Ricotta Stuffed Shells
This easy 30min Ricotta Stuffed Shells in Alfredo sauce is a quick and super easy weeknight dinner recipe!
It is served on a creamy Alfredo Sauce and this Alfredo Sauce makes it taste so good. You can also serve this with Marinara sauce and garnish it with fresh basil.
But, this creamy Alfredo sauce takes this Spinach Ricotta Shells to a whole new level. And it's just so good.
You can also make:
If you are thinking about making Stuffed shells in White Sauce, then let's quickly get started. Separate instructions for Homemade Alfredo Sauce is mentioned below.
🥘 Ingredients you Need to make Stuffed Shells:
- Jumbo Pasta Shells: I like to cook them as per package directions.
- Olive Oil, Chopped Onions, Minced Garlic, and Spinach: To saute the Spinach
- Ricotta Cheese, Grated Nutmeg, Grated Parmesan: To make the cheesy filling
- Mozzarella Cheese: You can use Mozzarella balls or any Italian cheese. But, I love Mozzarella so, I used it on top.
- Butter, Flour, Garlic, Heavy Cream, Milk, Salt & Pepper, Grated Parmesan Cheese : To make homemade Alfredo Sauce.
👩🍳 How to Make Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells?
- Cook Jumbo Pasta Shells until al dente: Cook Jumbo Pasta shells as per package directions. Once done, take it out in a large bowl full of cold water.
- Sautee Spinach: In a pan heat some Olive Oil. As the Oil shimmers add chopped Onions and minced garlic. Into that add baby Spinach. Saute them over low heat until the Spinach reduces in quantity and then take it out in a strainer. Strain the excess water and chop it up finely.
- Make Ricotta Cheese Mixture: Now add Ricotta cheese, Grated Nutmeg, and Grated Parmesan Cheese into this sauteed Spinach filling. Mix well using a spoon. Take out the ricotta mixture in a piping bag.
- Stuff Shells: Finally stuff Jumbo Pasta Shells with Cheesy Spinach Ricotta mixture.
- Top with Mozzarella Cheese: Finally stuff with diced Mozzarella Cheese
How to Make Creamy Alfredo Sauce?
- Make Roux: In a pan heat 3 tablespoon butter and add 1 tablespoon flour. Stir for 30-seconds.
- Add Minced Garlic: Now add minced garlic and stir well for another 30-seconds until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Add Heavy Cream and Milk: Now add 3/4 Cup of Heavy cream and 3/4 Cup of Whole Milk. You can replace Whole Milk with Half and Half. or you can use 2 cups of Heavy Cream to make it creamier. Stir well until it looks creamy.
- Season with Salt and Pepper: Now season this with salt and some freshly crushed Black Pepper.
- Stir Grated Parmesan Cheese: Finally, take it off the heat and stir in grated Parmesan cheese. Take it back to the heat and stir well on low flame until the cheese melts.
And, that's how you make creamy Alfredo Sauce.
The Final Step:
- Make the Base: Take a Casserole dish and Pour the creamy Alfredo sauce on the base.
- Place Stuffed Shells: Place Stuffed Shells on the alfredo sauce and bake this at 350°F OR 180°C for 25-30 minutes.
🗒️ Other Variations:
- Marinara Sauce or Tomato Sauce: As I said before, you can use serve this with homemade Marinara Sauce or Tomato Sauce with Fresh Basil on top.
- Pasta Sauce : You can serve these Spinach ricotta shells in Pasta sauce as well.
- Egg: Many People use eggs to bind the cheese mixture. But, I didn't need eggs for this recipe. If you want you can add one egg while making the cheesy Spinach ricotta mixture
- Red Pepper Flakes: If you want a little heat in your Spinach Stuffed Shells recipe then you can add some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Chicken: You can add some cooked and chopped chicken into your jumbo pasta shells along with spinach.
- Frozen Spinach - Yes you can use frozen spinach to make stuffed shells. Thaw frozen Spinach overnight in the refrigerator before use.
What to do with Remaining Alfredo Sauce?
If you have a lot of remaining Alfredo sauce, you can easily refrigerate it in an airtight container and refrigerate for upto a week or two.
Or use it in one of these delicious Alfredo recipes. Remaining Alfredo Sauce can be easily used to make Fettuccine Alfredo. Its such a hearty pasta dinner recipe.
Besides that you can make a quick Alfredo Casserole.
💯 Tips to make this Recipe Effectively:
- Do Not Overcook Jumbo Pasta Shells: It is best that you follow the directions on the package while cooking Jumbo Pasta Shells. Once done, transfer them to a large bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process immediately. This prevents pasta shells from getting overcooked.
- Chop Spinach Finely: Once you have sauteed your Spinach, make sure you chop it finely. Finely chopped spinach tastes better.
- Stir in Parmesan By Taking the Sauce off the heat: Stir in Parmesan Cheese by taking the cheese off the heat. And, then again bring it back to heat and stir well until cheese melts.
Other Spinach Recipes you can Make:
- Parmesan Cauliflower Spinach Pasta
- Cheesy Spinach Dip Puff Bites
- Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
- Indian Spiced Spinach Chicken
- Blueberry Spinach Salad with Broccoli and Avocado
- Easy Orange Spinach Pasta Salad (Vegan)
- Easy Spinach Salad
- Warm Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
- Creamy Garlic Spinach Pasta Recipe
- Creamed Spinach Recipe
if you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik and tag me @recipemagik. I would love to see how this recipe turned out for you.
More Comfort Food Dinners
- Broccoli Rice Casserole - Southern Comfort Food
- Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe (With Rice)
- Best Meatloaf Recipe ever! will knock your socks off
- Swedish Meatballs
- Italian Turkey Meatballs in marinara sauce
Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells in Alfredo Sauce
- 12 Pieces Jumbo Pasta Shells
- Water and Salt to cook Pasta shells
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 2 Medium-sized Onions finely chopped
- 6-7 cloves Minced Garlic
- 6 Ounces Fresh Baby Spinach washed, rinsed, and patted with a paper towel
- 6 Oz Ricotta Cheese
- ½ Teaspoon Grated Nutmeg
- 3.5 Oz Grated Parmesan Cheese approximately 1 cup
- Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to taste
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- 3 tablespoon Butter
- 1 tablespoon Flour
- 2 Cloves Minced garlic
- ½ Cup Whole Milk
- ½ Cup Heavy Cream
- 4 Oz Grated Parmesan Cheese approximately 1 cup
- Salt and Freshly Cracked Black Pepper to taste
Cook Shells until al dente
- Cook Jumbo Pasta Shells until al dente as per package directions. Once it turns al dente, take it out in a bowl of cold water. This stops the cooking process immediately and prevents them from getting overcooked.
- In a skillet heat some Olive Oil. As the oil shimmers, add chopped onions and stir for about 30-seconds on medium-low heat. Now add in minced garlic cloves and stir until slightly golden brown but not burnt.Now add in fresh baby spinach. Cook for 30-45 seconds and it will wilt. Cook for another 3-4 minutes on low heat until the spinach looks green but has reduced in quantity. Take it off the heat and keep it in a strainer. Place a bowl beneath the strainer. Strain the excess liquid in spinach using a spatula. Once you've drained the liquid completely place it in a medium-sized bowl.
Make Ricotta Mixture
- Add ricotta cheese, grated Nutmeg, and grated Parmesan Cheese to Sauteed Spinach. Mix well using a spoon or a spatula. Transfer it to a piping bag to spoon it effectively. Snip the edge and make it ready for use.
- Now pipe the filling in shells. Add some shredded or diced Mozzarella Cheese on each jumbo pasta shell.
Homemade Alfredo Sauce
- In a skillet heat butter and add flour. Stir for 30-seconds and add minced garlic cloves. Stir for another minute until the garlic turns golden brown.
- Once the Garlic turns light brown pour milk and heavy cream. Stir well on low heat until it turns smooth and creamy.Season with Salt and Freshly Cracked Black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Take it off the heat and add Grated Parmesan Cheese. Now again bring it back to heat and stir on low heat until cheese melts completely.
Baking the Shells
- Preheat Your Oven to 350F OR 180C.Pour this Creamy Alfredo Sauce in an 8x8 inch baking tray or a casserole dish of your choice. Place your Spinach and Ricotta stuffed Jumbo Pasta Shells on Alfredo Sauce. Bake this covered with an Aluminium foil for 15-20 minutes. Now remove the foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese on top turns brown.