Italian Sausages, along with Colorful Bell Peppers and crunchy Sweet Red Onions dumped and cooked in the slow cooker along with Marinara, Italian Seasoning, Garlic, and Cayenne Pepper. The result is beyond delicious Sausage and Peppers, perfectly juicy and delicious, ready to be served inside toasty Hoagie rolls and enjoyed! 🌭
Similar Recipes - French Onion Stuffed Chicken Casserole (so cheesy!)
Italian Sausage and Peppers with Onions is one of my favorite Italian American recipes. It's one of those recipes which you enjoy for lunch and then you are in serious need of an afternoon nap because its heavy for sure but is so so so delicious..!
I cannot imagine my summers without Hoagies for Lunch. 🌭When I cannot think of anything to make, I make Hoagies. ❤️
In fact, I think I have been making Hoagie Rolls since the time I was a kid. It's such an easy lunch or summer dinner to put together and the best part is, of course, the Kids. They just Love Hoagies.
Simple and Easy dinner and also, so Hasslefree. Crockpot meals are seriously a boon.
And when you stuff it with Sausage and Peppers, it's seriously the best...! Juicy dripping Italian Sausages along with the crunch of Bell Peppers and that taste of Marinara...need I say more!
It's simply DE-licious!! 😋
I just love cooking easy meals for summer. Have you tried my favorite Summer Crockpot Meals recipes already? If not? then before you go down, see if any of these recipes interests you!
- Crockpot Greek Lemon Chicken Thighs with Veggies & Potatoes
- Crockpot Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- Crockpot Shrimp Boil Recipe
- Honey Bourbon Chicken in Crockpot
- Crockpot Hawaiian Chicken with Sweet Pineapple Glaze
😋 Let's Talk Taste
This Sausage and Pepper is simply the best recipe ever. Whether you want to stuff in your charred Hoagie or top it over a bed of Pasta or toss this with some cooked rice, it's seriously delicious.
The pure definition of comfort food. The flavors are so simple and yet taste so complex! It's just amazing, how easily this Sausage and Pepper comes together in the Crockpot and yet is supremely good!
I especially love the taste of Marinara along with Italian Seasoning. It perfectly compliments the flavors of Italian Sausages and Peppers.
- Bell Peppers (Red, Green and Yellow)
- Red Onions
- Marinara Sauce
- Italian Sausages
- Cayenne Pepper
- Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
🥘 What Kind of Sausage and Bell Peppers should you use?
When it comes to Sausage, I like to use hot Sausage for this recipe, because you know, my love for spicy food is undeniable! However, You can also use Sweet Sausage. My husband hates spicy food, so I always make his with some sweet sausages and it tastes so good! Only, I have to add more Red Pepper Flakes to make mine spicy 😅
To make this healthy and low fat, you can also use Turkey Sausages. Although, they will need a slightly longer time to get cooked.
Also, for the Bell Peppers, you can use Red, Yellow, Green, Orange, or Purple, or a combination of all of them. I like the rainbow colors of Bell Peppers in my Sausage and Peppers so I use a little of all. You can skip any color of Bell Pepper you do not like and use more of what you like.
You can use Sweet Yellow onions or Red Onions or a combination of Both for this recipe. I really love the crunch and sweetness that Onions provide in this Sausage and Pepper Recipe.
📝 Instructions on making Italian Sausages with Peppers in the Crockpot
STEP 1: DUMP AND FORGET
- Pour Marinara Sauce in the Crockpot. Add the Cayenne Pepper, Salt, Pepper and Garlic in it. Toss to combine.
- Dump the chopped Veggies (Bell Pepper & Onions) along with chopped Italian Sausages in the Crockpot.
- Cover with a lid and slow cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
STEP 2: SERVE
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve inside toasted Hoagies or with Rice or Pasta, as you wish to.
Remember that you do not want to cook the Italian sausages for a very long time as they might lose out on their taste.
🍳 Cooking Variations
- FOIL PACK - You can obviously make this in foil packs. First grill the Sausages for 4-5 minutes, Then wrap the Sausages with bell Peppers and onions in a foil and grill 5-7 minutes or until the veggies tenderize.
- SKILLET - You can easily cook this in the skillet.
- Heat Olive Oil or Butter in a Skillet and Cook the Sausages for 3-4 minutes over medium-high heat. Once they get cooked, slice them and keep them aside
- Next, Toss the veggies and onions in the skillet and keep them aside.
- Next, Bring back the Sausages, Season with Salt, Pepper, Italian Seasoning, and Cayenne Pepper. Pour Marinara Sauce.
- Toss to combine and cover cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat, tossing occasionally. Cook until the Sausages are done.
Serve in between toasted Hoagie Rolls.
OTHER ITALIAN AMERICAN RECIPES
- Chicken Parmesan Meatballs stuffed with Mozzarella
- Cheesy Pizza Stuffed Chicken Roll-Ups
- Crockpot Zucchini Baked Ziti (Low Carb)
- Instant Pot Vegetarian Baked Ziti
- Chicken Parmesan Pasta Skillet
- Instant Pot Chicken Parm Pasta
- Crispiest Air Fryer Chicken Parmesan (ZERO OIL)
- Crockpot Parmesan Chicken and Rice
- Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce (just 4-ingredients)
You can easily store this Sausage and Peppers in the freeze. You can store this in a freezer-friendly air-tight container and freeze it for 3 months.
Just thaw overnight in the refrigerator and reheat in the oven before using.
You can also refrigerate this for 2 weeks.
OTHER RECIPES YOU'LL LOVE
- Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya in Instant Pot
- Smoked Sausage with Rice - Instant Pot / Slow Cooker
- Lemon Butter Shrimp and Rice
- Slow Cooker Baked Beans with Bacon & Maple
I hope you liked this recipe and shall make it soon. If you happen to make this recipe, then please comment on your reviews below. Also, share a snap of your creation on Instagram and tag me with #recipemagik.
Sausage and Peppers with Onions in Crockpot
- 1½ cup Marinara Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Freshly ground black pepper or as per taste
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 1 Large Red Bell pepper sliced
- 1 Large Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 Large Yellow Bell Pepper sliced
- 2 Medium sized Red Onions sliced can replace with yellow onions
- 1 lbs Italian Sausages (sweet or hot) Halved casings removed* see notes
- chopped parsley
- toasted Hoagie rolls/Submarine rolls
- Pour Marinara Sauce in the Crockpot. Add garlic, cayenne, salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning in it. Toss until combined. Add the sliced veggies and sausage to the same pot. Toss to combine. Cover with a lid and slow cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 2 hours.
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve inside toasted Hoagie Rolls
- freeze sausages for 15-20 minutes
- Make a shallow cut lengthwise from end to end of the sausage.
- Flip the sausage and rip that casing back.