Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cooked in IP with Kosher Salt, Paprika, Ground Cumin, and Homemade Salsa Verde. Packed with flavor this Mexican Salsa Verde Chicken is one of the easiest IP Chicken recipes which you are definitely gonna love. The best part - You can make this in your Slow cooker as well.
Easy Instant Pot Salsa Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken recipes are so much tastier than the ones we cook on our stovetop. Juicy chicken that gets done in less than 15-minutes is something that the entire family loves.
In my home, I make Instant Pot Salsa Chicken all the time. Once you've made Salsa Verde Chicken in your Instant pot, you can serve this in so many different ways.
You can make:
- Quesadillas: See this recipe for Taco Bell Chicken Quesadilla and see how to make one.
- Burritos: Warm tortillas with refried beans, shredded Mexican cheese, and this IP Shredded Chicken.
- Casseroles - Layer this in a baking dish with tortillas in between. Add Cheese on top and bake until the cheese is bubbly.
- Enchiladas - Serve them into tortillas and bake with Salsa verde and lots of shredded Mexican cheese on top.
- Tacos - Skip the hard work and just serve it in a taco. Enjoy ASAP.
- or you can serve this with rice - Rice goes so well with the juicy IP Shredded chicken.
Honestly, cooking this Salsa Verde Chicken in Instant Pot is simply a no-brainer! This is such an easy weeknight meal that you will actually want to make it again and again.
And, the versatility of this recipe, gives you so many options. You can even store the leftovers in your refrigerator and use the rest the next day. Or else, you can wrap it up in a freezer-friendly bag and store it for up to 3 months.
What is an Instant Pot?
An Instant Pot is one of the best gadgets that you can buy for your kitchen. It's just been a week that I bought this 6 quart Instant Pot Duo from Amazon and I've been loving it.
I have been making so many new recipes in my Instant Pot. Basically, an Instant Pot is a modern Pressure cooker that has 7-functions in 1.
It can Pressure Cook, Slow Cook, Make Yogurt, work as a Rice Cooker, Sautés, Steams, and also makes Porridge. seriously? Who eats Porridge today!!
My favorite part about my Instant Pot is how I can turn it into a slow cooker and how I can turn it into a saute mode in a matter of minutes.
In my home, I sauté veggies almost all the time. But, when I actually used my Instant Pot to do that, it was so much quicker and also so much fun and exciting.
It's like I am actually doing whatever I want - Pressure cooking, sautéeing, Slow Cooking, in just one single pot! That is so damn cool. At the end of the day, all I have to clean up is just one single pot.
IP Chicken is So Much Easier!
You can easily make soft, tender, fall apart chicken in your oven or on a stovetop. But the major problem with both these methods is that it takes a LOT of time.
Cooking Chicken Breasts or Chicken thighs in the oven takes at least 20-22 minutes. But, there is a catch! You don't want them to get too dry.
Similarly cooking Chicken Breast on the stovetop takes approximately 20-minutes of simmer.
But, when you cook chicken in your Instant Pot, you need just 8-10 minutes. That's like saving at least 10-12 minutes per recipe.
Besides the time that you save, chicken cooked in Instant Pot requires very less water. But, when you cook your chicken breast on a stovetop or oven you have to very careful about the amount of water you add.
So, there you go! Isn't IP Shredded Chicken the best?
Slow Cooker Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe
To cook Salsa Verde Chicken in a Slow cooker, prepare as per the instructions, and then cook on low heat for 6-7 hours. Or on High Heat for 4-5 hours.
How to Make Salsa Verde Chicken in an Instant Pot?
Seriously, this is by far, the easiest recipe I have ever come across.
- Place 1.5 lbs of boneless skinless chicken breasts in your Pressure Cooker.
- Add Kosher Salt, Ground Cumin, and Smoked Paprika. Coat your chicken with the seasoning.
- Pour homemade or storebought jar of Salsa Verde on the chicken.
- Cover the lid and start your IP on high pressure. Cook for 8-10 minutes. Once done, do a natural pressure release and let the steam come out naturally.
- Finally, open the lid and shred your chicken using two forks.
How Do I Serve Salsa Chicken
The ideas for serving Salsa Chicken are simply endless. You can quickly make Salsa Verde Chicken Enchiladas with some of these IP Shredded Chicken and make a quick weeknight dinner for your family.
If you don't want to make enchiladas now, you can simply serve this over rice. It tastes excellent with rice.
How Do I Store any Leftovers & Reheat my Shredded IP Chicken
First of all, place your chicken on a plate. Let it come down to room temperature. Then cover the plate with plastic wrap. Store this in your refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
You can also freeze the shredded IP Chicken. To Freeze this Chicken, just keep it in an airtight container and then freeze it for 3-months.
To reheat, just place it on a stovetop and warm it through completely.
- Make sure you check the internal temperature of the chicken with an instant thermometer. You will know that your chicken is fully cooked when it has reached an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Your cooking time will also differ based on the thickness of your chicken breasts. The general rule of thumb says that 10-minutes cooking time is enough for chicken breasts under 2-inch thickness, similarly, you'll need at least 15-minutes or more to cook chicken breasts that are over 2 inches thick.
- Release Pressure Naturally. Instant Pot builds a lot of pressure. And this Pressure cooks your chicken faster. So, after you've cooked your chicken, allow the steam to release naturally.
- When using Frozen Chicken breasts it is best that you do a Natural Pressure release than a quick pressure release. Or else your chicken would be undercooked and would taste rubbery.
Other Instant Pot Recipes you can try:
- Instant Pot Thai Cashew Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Instant Pot Shredded Hawaiian Chicken Tacos
- Instant Pot Peach Chicken in Honey Balsamic Sauce
if you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Instant Pot Salsa Verde Chicken
- 1-1½ lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt or adjust as per taste
- 12 ounces Jar Salsa Vede homemade or storebought
- Place Ingredients in pressure cooker: Place all Ingredients in your Pressure cooker.
- Pressure Cook: Set Instant Pot to High Pressure and cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Release pressure naturally: Once the timer goes off, release pressure naturally.
- Shred and Serve: Once cooked, shred chicken using two forks. Take it out on a plate and serve over rice or in the form of tacos or enchiladas or Quesadillas or Casserole.
- Slow Cooker: To cook Salsa Verde Chicken in a Slow cooker, prepare as per the instructions, and then cook on low heat for 6-7 hours. Or on High Heat for 4-5 hours.
- The thickness of Chicken: If your chicken is more than 2-inches thick then it will take you at least 15-minutes to cook your chicken.
- No Water: No need to add any water while cooking chicken. Chicken releases its own juice and there is enough liquid in the Salsa verde sauce.