Easy, Quick and Healthy Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Juice, Butter, Olive Oil, Garlic, Lemon Zest, and Salt is the best Vegetable Side Dish Recipe ever!
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon and Butter is out favorite way to enjoy this healthy veggie. The fresh and zesty taste of Lemon Juice, along with Lemon Zest and Garlic Powder tastes brilliant. Also, Butter goes amazingly well with anything Lemon. Also try my Bacon Wrapped Asparagus
Have you tried my Lemon Butter Shrimp and Rice or Low Carb Lemon Butter Chicken
I always make this Asparagus recipe for my side dishes, especially for Easter. Its one of those recipes which requires simple, pantry staple ingredients, needs zero level of cooking skills, can be made by everyone anytime, and is loved by all.
Its the simplicity of this recipe and the burst of flavors which makes Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Butter so popular.
List of ingredients needed to make Lemon Butter Roasted Asparagus
- Asparagus spears (trimmed) - Read on below to know how to trip Asparagus
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Butter (softened to room temp)
- Lemon Juice
- Lemon Zest
- Garlic Powder
- Salt & Pepper
How to cook Asparagus in oven
Roasted Asparagus is one of the easiest Vegetable side dish recipes which gets ready in just 10-15 minutes in the oven
If you are wondering how to cook Asparagus, then you will love this recipe for Roasted Asparagus.
All you need to is to trim the Asparagus
Make a marinade of Olive Oil, Butter, Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder.
Whisk until combined. Drizzle this over the Asparagus spears.
Toss to combine.
Roast until the Asparagus gets cooked and the edges start to brown.
Remember to cook the Asparagus in the oven until they are crisp and golden brown.
Hint: A rule of thumb I use to know if the Asparagus is cooked perfectly in the oven is to see the color. If the color of the Asparagus changes to deep green after cooking, they have been cooked to perfection.
Optional Cooking Variations
Parmesan Cheese - People seem to love this variation. Right before baking, sprinkle some freshly grated Parmesan cheese on top of the Asparagus and then roast them! It tastes so good!
Honey Balsamic - Along with Lemon, you can add some Honey and Balsamic Vinegar in the mix. Just mix these two in the marinade and toss with the Asparagus before roasting them! You'll love the sweet and salty taste.
Red Pepper Flakes - Just to make it a little spicy, include some Cayenne Pepper in the marinade and garnish with Red Pepper Flakes. A little spice in a vegetable side dish tastes amazing!
Can I make this in the air fryer?
Yes of course! Just toss everything and place in the air fryer basket. Place only as much fits. Roast @400F for 10 minutes.
Air Fryer Roasted Asparagus crisps up like a dream! Drizzle lemon juice on top and serve!
How to chose juicy Asparagus (thick or thin)?
If you are looking for tips on how to chose Asparagus, then follow the rule of thumb like me. Thin & Bright green colored Asparagus are juicy and tender and cooks really fast. These are generally found early in the season.
As the season progresses, you will find Asparagus which are thicker and greenish white in color. Also, they take longer to cook and even get chewier after cooking. So avoid choosing thick Asparagus spears.
How to trim Asparagus spears?
You can arrange all of the Asparagus spears in a single layer and trim off 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the lower base, which is generally whitish in color.
OR, just take the Asparagus spear between your forefinger and thumb and snap off the base stalk. The dry part will snap off easy and you will be left with juicy and edible part of Asparagus.
I would not recommend you to freeze these Lemon Butter Roasted Asparagus, because they will lose the crispy texture upon freezing.
However, you can refrigerate these Roasted Asparagus in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Just reheat in the oven before serving. Or you can reheat in the air fryer as well.
Can I make this ahead of time?
Yes of course! Trim the Asparagus spears and toss with the marinade. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
When you need to cook them, lay them on a greased baking dish. Bake @400F for 10-15 minutes.
What to serve this with?
I love to serve this excellent Vegetable Side dish of Roasted Asparagus for Easter Brunch, aside of Baked Ham with Honey and Pineapple OR Honey Baked Ham OR Meatloaf OR Pork Chops
Besides these classics you can serve this with
- Garlic Mashed Potatoes
- Southern Buttermilk Ranch Mashed Potatoes
- Honey Garlic Salmon
- Pan Seared Salmon
- Philly Cheesesteak
- Chicken Parmesan
- Whole Roasted Chicken
- Crispy Whole Roasted Duck
- Chicken Scampi
- 10-min Shrimp Scampi
Roasted Asparagus with Lemon Butter
- 2 lbs Asparagus spears trimmed
- ½ cup Lemon Juice 1 medium sized lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Zest
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter 8 tablespoon (softened to room temp.)
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper freshly cracked
- 1 teaspoon Salt Adjust as per taste
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese freshly grated (optional)
- Trim Asparagus: Rinse Asparagus in tap water and pat dry with a clean and dry kitchen towel. Arrange Asparagus spears in a single layer. Trim off the last 1 to 1 1/2 inches from the base, which is whitish in color or take it between your forefinger and thumb and snap the dry part. The dry part will snap off easy, leaving you with the edible and juicy part of Asparagus.
- Make Marinade: In a small mixing bowl, combine Lemon Juice, Lemon Zest, Salt, Pepper and Garlic Powder. Mix using a fork until combined.
- Bake: Preheat the oven to 400F. Arrange the Asparagus spears in a single layer in a greased sheet pan. Drizzle the marinade on top. Toss to combine using a spatula. Then arrange back in a single layer. Bake @400F for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the Asparagus spears get light golden brown.
- Add Cheese: Sprinkle Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese on top. Set the oven to broil mode and broil for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese melts on top. Garnish with few Lemon Rinds and serve.
Love this for a Spring Brunch!!