Miso Carrots or Miso Glazed Carrots is one of the easiest Vegetarian Side Dishes that you can make in under 30-minutes.
All you need is a red miso paste (fermented Soybean + Rice Paste), Carrots, Butter, Scallions, Brown Sugar, Honey, and Vegetable Oil.
After Honey Sriracha Glazed Carrots and Garlic Parmesan Carrots, If I have loved any Vegetable Side Dish, it is Miso glazed carrots.
Creamy, Buttery roasted carrots coated in a punchy red miso paste and glazed with brown sugar and honey, this recipe will force you to say - "Wow! That's even better than the main course"!
Seriously, the crunch of roasted carrots, the scallions, the creamy buttery texture, the smooth, sweet, and silky miso butter with honey and brown sugar feels like a delicious treat to your taste buds.
It's so so so good that it hits all the right spots. I can guarantee you that you will be craving more! You can find Miso Paste in the international food section. However, you can also save time and purchase it online like I do.
Have you tried:
- Crispy Carrot Fries in Air Fryer | Healthy Side Dish
- Brown Sugar Maple Glazed Carrots with Spiced Nuts
You'll Be Impressed by:
- The Beautiful balance of flavors: The punchy miso paired with brown sugar and honey feels literally magical.
- The Buttery Coating: The creamy, buttery sauce coating the carrots is so good.
- The Crunch: The roasted carrots and the crunch of scallions leave you to chew on to something while you are enjoying the goodness of miso butter.
- Just 20-minutes: The Best Part about this recipe is that it takes hardly any time. You start and before you know you have finished it.
- Easiest Side Dish ever: Seriously there couldn't be a side dish easier than this. It literally requires you to do no hard work. Just blanching the carrots and then roasting them in butter. Can you think of any recipe easier than that?
Roasted Miso Carrots
Roasted Miso Carrots recipe - Carrots are blanched in salt water and then roasted in a roasting pan until it has golden brown spots on it. In the meantime, miso paste is mixed with Butter, Brown Sugar, and Scallions to form Miso Butter. Finally, miso butter is tossed with carrots and all you are left with is this beautifully smelling carrot side dish that needs no further introduction.
Miso Glazed Carrots
These Miso Glazed Carrots are packed with umami. The butter, the sugar, and the miso paste pairs incredibly well with carrots and you will definitely want to make this Vegetable Side Dish again and again.
Miso paste when mixed with butter and brown sugar forms a sweet, buttery, creamy, and comforting layer on the carrots, and that tastes so damn good.
I am in love with this easy Vegetarian Side Dish recipe. I mean after you've made a huge dinner you do need some easy side dish to pair with your main course. And trust me, there could be no dish easier than this Miso Glazed carrots.
What is Miso?
Miso is a popular Japanese seasoning that is made with fermented soybeans, Koji, salt, and rice. Instead of rice, many people use seaweed or barley to make Miso. Miso is a very thick paste that is generally used to pickle fish, vegetables, and other meat. It is also mixed with dashi Soup Stock and served as Miso Soup.
Red Miso Glazed Carrots Recipe
You can find three kinds of Miso in the market. White Miso, Red Miso, and Awase Miso. White Miso has more rice in it, hence the white color.
White Miso has a sweet taste and therefore it is very popular in Japanese cuisines.
Red Miso undergoes a longer fermentation time and hence the rich dark color. As you can imagine, since there is more fermentation so obviously the flavors are more intense.
It has a sharp taste and feels like "the taste of mum's cooking".
In this recipe for Honey Miso Glazed Carrots, I am using red miso paste. Red Miso paste can also be used as a marinade for meat or fishes.
Honey Miso Glazed Carrots Recipe
To be honest, when I tried the Red Miso paste just as it is, It was something that I didn't like. It had too sharp, and punchy short of taste. Something that hits your tastebuds spot on. Therefore I decided to balance the spice by adding a little of both - honey and brown sugar. Later on, I can tell you that it was one of the best decisions I took while making Honey Miso glazed carrots.
Honey has a smooth, velvety sweetness that is neither overpowering nor too subtle. It is something that pairs extremely well with roasted carrots.
How to Make Pan-Roasted Carrots with Miso-Butter?
- Blanche Carrots: First preheat your oven to 425F and place your sliced carrots in a bowl of boiling water. Place it in the preheated oven for 2-minutes. Once done, take them out.
- Make Miso Butter: In the meantime make Miso Butter. In a bowl combine Miso paste with butter, scallions, brown sugar, and honey. (No need to add salt and pepper)
- Roast Carrots in Pan: In a pan roast carrots with some canola oil and butter. The combination of both oil and butter helps the carrots get a buttery taste and it gets crispier on the outside.
- Add Miso Butter: Lastly, add Miso Butter and stir well to combine. And, that's it. Your Pan-roasted carrots with Miso butter are ready.
How to Make Miso Glazed Carrots Vegan?
Miso paste is made from Soy Bean and therefore there is no doubt about it that Miso paste is vegan.
However, there are a few ingredients that you can substitute to make Vegan Miso Glazed Carrots.
- Replace Butter with Vegan Butter. You can find a variety of Vegan Butter in the market today.
- Replace Honey with Maple Syrup.
- Skip Brown Sugar. Since Brown sugar is made with Bone char so it is not vegan.
Other Sides you can try:
- Crispy Fried Green Beans in Air-Fryer | Keto & Low Carb Side Dish
- Loaded Sweet Potato Skins in Air Fryer
- [2-Ingredient] Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli
- Cheesy Green Beans
- Southern Creamed Corn
How to Make Roasted Miso Glazed Carrots? Check out the video:
If you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag us @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Miso Carrots (Roasted) Recipe
- 1 lb Carrots peeled and sliced lengthwise
- Salt Water for blanching carrots
For Miso Butter
- ½ Stick Butter can use vegan butter (about 50-60 grams), softened to room temperature
- 2½ Tablespoon Red Miso Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Honey can use maple syrup to make it vegan
- ½ Tablespoon Brown Sugar OPTIONAL
- 1 Cup Scallions around 6 (thinly sliced)
For Roasting Carrots
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 Stick Butter can use vegan butter (about 100g)
- Blanch Carrots: In a bowl add some boiling water and preheat your oven to 425F. Peel and slice carrots. First divide them into two vertical halves. (cut vertically). Then cut those slices into two more vertical halves. See the video for tutorial.Place them in the bowl with boiling water and allow it to get blanched in the preheated oven for 2-minutes.
- Make Miso Butter: In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine Red Miso Paste with softened butter, brown sugar, Honey, and thinly sliced scallions. Stir well with a spoon so that it combines together.
- Pan Roast Carrots: In a roasting pan, add butter and pour some oil. Add blanched carrots and roast them on medium-high heat, stirring continuously for at least 1-minute. Do not allow them to get burnt or shrink too much.
- Add Miso Butter: Finally, add Miso butter and stir well to combine. Let it come to a quick boil on medium-high heat and then take it off the flame. Garnish and Serve: Garnish with chopped spring onions and serve right away!
Ask Me Anything