Mac and Cheese Tacos - Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mac and Cheese when tucked into crispy corn tortillas creates this magnificent dish called Mac and Cheese Tacos. Add some cooked chicken and you just made yourself one of the most comforting dinners!
Also try these Vegan Birria Tacos🌮
I love the idea of serving my favorite Mac and Cheese in the form of taco. Crispy corn tortillas with creamy, cheesy, and comforting Mac and Cheese is so good😋 I was actually, watching a show or something on Youtube and when I saw a kid having chicken mac and cheese taco. I was actually envying him. And, there it is, I made it at home today!
To make it healthy, you can make Broccoli Mac and Cheese and tuck it in a tortilla. Or you can also try Low Carb Buffalo Cauliflower Mac and Cheese or Low Carb Keto Cauliflower Mac and Cheese and serve it with a warm tortilla.
If you want it spicy then you can make Jalapeno Mac and Cheese and place it in warm tortillas.
Here are the things that you'll need to make Mac and Cheese tacos.
- Elbow Macaroni: You can use any other pasta you like.
- Butter: Always use unsalted butter so that the salt level is balanced.
- garlic: peeled and minced.
- flour: All purpose flour to make "roux".
- Cold milk: You can replace this with heavy cream or half and half. (half and half is half cream and half milk)
- salt and pepper
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- shredded parmesan cheese
- shredded mozzarella cheese
- corn or flour tortillas
- ground ritz cracker: To make a crispy topping. Can be replaced with Panko breadcrumbs.
See the recipe card for quantities. Also, check out the video for a visual🎬
Step 1: Cook Pasta until al dente
In a bowl of salted water boil pasta as per package directions until al dente. Do not overboil. Once done, drain and immediately rinse with cold water so that it doesn't overcook.
Step 2: Make the Sauce
In a non-stick pan, melt butter. Add few cloves of minced garlic and sauté until garlic becomes fragrant. Next, Whisk in flour. Continue to cook for at least 2-minutes. Whisk in milk and allow the sauce to thicken. Add cooked pasta and toss lightly to coat the pasta in the sauce.
Step 3: Add Cheese
Take it off the heat and add shredded Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded Cheddar Cheese, and Shredded Parmesan Cheese. Toss pasta until the cheese coats completely.
Step 4: Tuck in tortillas
Tuck Mac and Cheese in toasted corn or flour tortillas. Top with ground ritz cracker or toasted panko breadcrumbs and serve immediately.
Hint: Generally, people use a crispy panko breadcrumb topping for mac and cheese. But, I like to use crushed ritz crackers. It has a natural salty taste which is so good.
Toasted Panko Breadcrumbs: In a pan combine panko breadcrumbs with butter and toss lightly just for 1-minute on medium-low heat and then transfer onto a plate.
If you know how to make the recipe fit a certain diet, let the reader know here. Don't fake it - only provide guidance on topics you have actual experience with.
- Bake: Instead of making it on stove top you can simply bake your mac and cheese in a preheated oven at 180°C/350°F for 25-minutes. Then tuck it into tortillas.
- Gluten Free: To make this recipe Gluten-Free use Gluten-Free tortillas instead of regular tortillas, Gluten Free all purpose flour, and use Gluten-free Elbow Macaroni instead of regular macaroni.
Mac and Cheese is such a comfort food that there are a million variations of the recipe. You can see these ideas for more.
- Chicken - Cut chicken breasts into small 1-inch cubes. Sear them in hot oil (with breading/without breading) and combine it in your Mac and Cheese taco.
- Spicy - If you like your Mac and Cheese to be spicy then add some sliced Jalapeños along with crushed red pepper flakes.
- Garlic Powder & Onion Powder - Amp up the flavors with some garlic powder and onion powder.
- Grueyere Cheese - I love how shredded Grueyere cheese adds a milky sweetness to the recipe.
- Paprika - If you find the recipe dull and boring, then spice it up with some smoked paprika.
- Salsa - This is served in a taco and is so cheesy. I don't think you would need a salsa. But, in case you want to serve you can. I am not sure about the way it would taste.
You can allow your mac and cheese to cool down completely and then you can store it in an air-tight container for 3-4 days. If it gets dry, add 1-2 tablespoon of milk.
⏰Make Ahead Instructions
Make Mac and Cheese, and cool it down. Refrigerate it for 3-days. When wanting to serve, microwave your mac and cheese and tuck it in a warm tortilla.
- Toast your tortilla in a warm and dry pan until it gets crispy.
- You can use small street side tortillas for best results.
- Don't use pre-shredded cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is good for so many recipes, but definitely not for Mac and Cheese tacos.
- The combination of flour and butter is called roux. But, to make a perfect roux the ratio of flour and butter should be absolutely equal.
- Do not use warm milk. Always use cold milk while making Mac and Cheese or else your flour would clump together.
- Always add cheese after taking it off the heat.
If you are making Mac and Cheese tacos using this recipe, then please provide a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik so that I can see how it turned out.
Mac and Cheese Tacos
- 1 pound elbow macaroni 500 grams
For the Sauce
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk can be replaced with half and half
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup vegetable stock can be replaced with water
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- ritz cracker ground
- 6-8 medium corn tortillas or flour tortillas about 6-inches (toasted on a dry pan until crispy)
- In a non-stick pan melt butter. Add minced garlic and sauté until garlic gets fragrant for about 1-minute. Whisk in all-purpose flour and continue to cook for at least 2-minutes. Stir in milk (¼ cup) at a time and whisk between each addition. Allow the sauce to thicken for a while.
- Season with salt and pepper. Pour Vegetable stock and stir well. Add cooked macaroni and stir lightly.
- Remove from heat and add shredded mozzarella cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, and shredded Parmesan cheese. Toss lightly until the sauce coats the pasta.
- Tuck mac and cheese in toasted corn or flour tortillas. Top with Ritz cracker and serve right away.
- Cheese: Make sure you shred your cheese at home. Pre-shredded cheese has a coating and doesn't melt properly.
- Equal Flour and Butter: To make a creamy sauce "roux" the ratio of butter and flour should be absolutely equal. In this case, I have used 1/4 cup of both.
- Unsalted Butter: I love Unsalted butter so that I can control the amount of sodium in my recipe.
- Toast tortillas: It takes just 1-minute to toast tortillas. Do not skip this step. Take a dry pan over medium-high heat. Place one tortilla and toast on both sides until lightly crispy.
- Chicken: To make it a complete dinner feel free to add some chicken as well.