Creamy Garlic Butter Shrimp and Rice is one of our favorite shrimp dinners to cook in under 20 minutes. The creamy garlic butter sauce for shrimp is the star of the show. Once you make this, you should also try Creamy garlic parmesan shrimp and Lemon Butter Shrimp and Rice.
If you wish to make a low-carb garlic butter shrimp and rice, you should check out this Cauliflower Shrimp Fried Rice
Fresh Parmesan Cheese, Fresh Parsley, Freshly minced garlic, cooked basmati rice, juicy shrimps, and some creamy milk creates this creamy garlic butter shrimp recipe.
If you want to skip the rice, toss in some chopped green onions and serve as a lettuce wrap. Check out - Asian Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
Or you could add some cooked pasta to make garlic butter shrimp pasta.
- Rice - you can use small grain or long grain cooked rice, whichever you prefer
- Unsalted butter - I use low fat butter for this recipe to make it healthy
- fresh minced garlic - about 5-6 cloves of minced garlic
- shrimps (cleaned and deveined) - if you have frozen shrimps, thaw on the counter, pat them dry using a clean kitchen towel and then use them.
- Low-fat milk - low fat milk is just to make this lighter
- greek yogurt - I use reduced fat greek yogurt
- freshly shredded Parmesan cheese - use low fat Parmesan cheese
- fresh chopped parsley
- salt & pepper
🥘 How to Make Garlic Butter Shrimp and Rice
- STEP 1: COOK RICE AS PER PACKAGE DIRECTIONS
Cook rice as per directions written on the package.
- STEP 2: COOK GARLIC IN BUTTER
Add unsalted butter to a large skillet. Once the butter melts, add fresh minced garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes on low heat or until light brown. Make sure the garlic is not burnt.
- STEP 3: COOK SHRIMP
Stir in shrimp (cleaned and deveined) into the pan. Cook until they turn pink (not more than 2 minutes).
- STEP 4: TOSS IN COOKED RICE
Toss in cooked rice into the skillet. Stir lightly and mix until well combined.
- STEP 5: STIR IN MILK, PARMESAN CHEESE, AND HERBS
Stir in freshly shredded parmesan cheese, milk, greek yogurt, salt, and pepper. Stir for 1 minute.
GARNISH & SERVE
Garnish with freshly chopped parsley and serve.
🍤 Cooking Variations
- Red pepper flakes or Cayenne Pepper - If you want to make spicy garlic butter shrimp then you can add some crushed red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (as much as you need) while cooking garlic.
- garlic butter shrimp with lemon - I've skipped lemon juice because I personally think the acidity of lemon takes away the simplicity of this dish. But, if you like it with lemon, feel free to squeeze in some lemon juice.
🍚 What goes with garlic butter Shrimp and rice?
Shrimp and Rice can be served with:-
- something as easy as roasted veggies
- Garlic Butter Sauteed Green Beans to complement the flavors of shrimps.
- Broccoli Corn Salad to balance the creamy flavors.
- Panzanella Salad (Tuscan Summer Salad)
- Something sweet such as Brown Sugar Glazed Baby Carrots
- or Something munchy such as Ranch Cheddar Corn on the Cob
🍤More Shrimp Recipes under 30 minutes
I prefer this Shrimp and Rice recipe since its extremely easy to make and moreover it takes less than 30 minutes to whip this up.
If you're looking for some more shrimp recipes under 30 minutes, then here are some of my favorites ❤️
- Garlic Lime Shrimp (just 3 ingredients)
- (15-min) Honey Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli
- Honey Bourbon Shrimp
- Creamy & Rich Shrimp Alfredo with Cream Cheese
🌾 rice recipes to go with shrimp?
If you've got some leftover cooked rice and wondering what can you make for dinner with shrimp and rice, then here is what I recommend.
- Spicy New Orleans Shrimp - Southern favorite.
- Green Curry Shrimp - One of my favorites.
- Crispy Honey Sesame Shrimp - crispy, sweet, toasty, and nutty
- Creamy Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry - Thai flavors are fantastic.
- Pesto Shrimp Rice Bowl - with homemade pesto sauce.
- Mexican Shrimp and Rice Burrito Bowl - Spicy Mexican flavors in a bowl.
⏲️ Shrimp and rice recipes in an instant pot?
If you wish to cook shrimp and rice in your instant pot, then here are few suggestions:
- Cajun Shrimp and Rice (Instant Pot / Slow Cooker) - I personally love this recipe. Try this with my homemade cajun seasoning for the best taste and flavors.
- You can also make Easy Sausage and Shrimp Jambalaya in an Instant Pot.
Creamy Garlic Butter Shrimp and Rice
- 1 cup Minute rice can use dry rice as well.
- 6 tablespoon Unsalted Butter low fat
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoon Skimmed Milk low fat
- ¼ cup Greek Yogurt low fat
- 12 oz Large Shrimps peeled and deveined
- ¼ cup Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Freshly chopped Parsley for garnish
- salt and freshly cracked black pepper to season
- shredded Parmesan for garnish (optional)
- Cook the rice as per package directions.
- Heat butter in a skillet. As the butter melts, add the minced garlic and stir frequently to prevent the garlic from burning. Lower the heat if the garlic is turning brownish
- Add the cooked rice to the same skillet. Toss to combine.
- Add shredded Parmesan, low-fat skimmed milk, fat-free greek yogurt, salt, and pepper. Mix and combine until everything comes together for 2 min.
- Remove from the heat. Garnish with more freshly shredded Parmesan, freshly chopped Parsley and serve!