4th of July Sheet Cake with fresh raspberries and blueberries is simply irresistible. This homemade Flag cake with juicy blueberries and tarty raspberries is something that will make your Fourth of July Party a total hit.
I was so excited to bake this Patriotic American Flag Cake. I tried this last year just to see the reaction of the people.
And, this turned out excellent. I got rave reviews about this USA Flag Cake Design. I made it this weekend for Memorial Day Party.
- Red White and Blue Popsicles (kid friendly) - perfect for hot summer day
- Red, White and Blue drink for Kids - kid-friendly punch for kids
- Red, White and Blue Dessert Pizza - delectable pizza with fruit toppings
- American Flag Brownies - fudgy, decadent brownies
USA Flag Cake Design
This Patriotic Day I have been practically unstoppable. I've been making Independence Day recipes for like 5 days in a row. And, trust me, I've never felt more productive!
Being in the US has opened my mind to so many new things. 4th of July is one such holiday that I look out for more.
Sometimes even more than Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
There could be a number of reasons that I like 4th of July... But, the most important reason is that I get to be creative and productive.
Ingredients needed to make Patriotic Cake
Here are the ingredients you'll need to make American Flag Cake.
For the Flag Cake
- Unsalted Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Baking Soda
- Kosher Salt
For the Frosting
- Cream Cheese
- unsalted butter
- Powdered sugar
- fresh Raspberries
- fresh blueberries
- almond extract or pure vanilla extract
- low fat plain greek yogurt
How to Make American flag sheet cake
Patriotic Cake is extremely easy to make and its just like baking any regular yellow cake. See recipes for Strawberry Texas Sheet Cake or French Yogurt Cake
STEP 1: Beat Butter and Sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
STEP 2: Combine eggs and vanilla until well combined.
STEP 3: In a separate bowl combine all purpose flour, baking soda, kosher salt. Combine half of the flour mixture with the butter mixture. Pour half of the milk and beat lightly. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and remaining milk. Beat just until combined and smooth. Do not overmix.
STEP 4: Spread the cake batter into a sheet pan (11x17 inch) and spread it out using an offset spatula. Bake for 18-22 minutes at 325 degrees F, rotating 180 degrees once halfway through.
STEP 5: Allow the cake to cool down completely over a wire rack. In the meantime make the frosting.
STEP 6: In a bowl fitted with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer combine the ingredients for frosting until well combined and smooth.
STEP 7: Spread the frosting over the cake. Arrange the blueberries in top left corner to make the "stars" of the flag. Then, arrange the Raspberries in a row to make the "stripes" of the flag. Refrigerate until you are ready to serve.
How do you decorate a cake for the 4th of July
Decorating a cake for the 4th of July is pretty simple. All you have to do is make the "stars" and the "stripes". And, of course a white creamy frosting that forms the base of the sheet cake.
The frosting is crazy simple. It is just a basic cream cheese frosting that we commonly use.
To make the stars, almost everyone always uses fresh blueberries. July is the perfect time to find fresh blueberries🫐🫐🫐🫐
And you have two options to make the stripes. You can either use fresh cherries or fresh Raspberries to make the stripes.
You can cut the Raspberries in thin slices and arrange them vertically over the frosting.
How do you make a Canadian flag out of Raspberries?
If you are thinking about making Canadian Flag Cake for Canadian Independence Day then you can do that with this recipe. yay!
And, yes. You don't need blueberries. You can make Canadian Flag out of Fresh raspberries.
So, here's how you make a Canadian flag out of raspberries. 🇨🇦
Arrange overlapping slices of raspberries on the two short sides of the cake. This will make the two parallel red stripes on the Canadian flag.
Use a toothpick to make a maple leaf at the center of the cake. Arrange raspberry slices to make the border of the maple leaf.
Cut out the Raspberry strips vertically to make the leaf steam.
Fill in the area where you had traced out maple leaf with freshly sliced Raspberries.
And, its done. Refrigerate the cake until it's ready to serve.
Can I make this cake Ahead of Time?
Yes. You can make this American Flag Cake 1 day ahead. Allow the cake to cool down over a wire rack. Keep in an airtight container at room temperature.
Spread the frosting before serving and refrigerate few minutes before serving.
You can also make the frosting 1 day ahead and store it separately in the refrigerator.
Allow the frosting to come to room temperature. This will help in easy frosting.
Can I store the leftovers?
Yes. You can store the leftover American Flag Cake for up to 3-4 days in the refrigerator.
You can remove the fruits (blueberries and Raspberries) from the cake and refrigerate for 5 days. You can also freeze the leftover cake for up to 5 months.
More Memorial Day Dessert Recipes
Flag Cake with Blueberries and Raspberries (Make Ahead)
For the Flag Cake
- ½ cup Unsalted butter
- 1½ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
For the Frosting
- 12 ounces cream cheese
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 1½ cup powdered sugar
- 2-3 cups fresh Raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup low fat plain greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Line a 11x17 inch sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl with a handheld mixer or spoon or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment.
- Reduce the speed to medium-low and add sugar. Beat lightly until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until smooth and well combined. Scrape the sides a few times beat again until well combined. The mixture will look slightly curdled.
- In a separate large bowl whisk together all purpose flour, baking soda, and kosher salt.
- Combine half of the flour mixture with the butter mixture. Pour half of the milk and set aside. Beat on low speed for 5-6 seconds and pour in remaining milk. Repeat with the remaining flour mixture and beat just until smooth. Do not overmix.
- Pour and spread the cake batter into the prepared baking dish. Use an offset spatula to spread it out and smoothen it into a thin layer.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Rotate 180 degrees once halfway through. Insert a toothpick at the center of the cake. You'd know its done, if it comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a wired rack and allow it to cool down completely. In the meantime, make the frosting.
- Combine ingredients for frosting in a large bowl using a handheld mixer or in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until smooth and well combined.
- Spread the frosting on the cooled cake using the back of a spoon or an offset spatula. Arrange the fresh blueberries to make the "stars" of the flag cake. Cut Raspberry slices and arrange them vertically to make the "stripes" of the American Patriotic Cake Design.Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Looks absolutely gorgeous