This Chicken Fajita Casserole with rice takes the time consuming part of regular fajitas out of the picture. Cheesy, Smoky, and Totally Delicious, it's a real crowd-pleaser. Much like this Broccoli Cauliflower Rice Casserole and Cajun Butter Crockpot Chicken Thighs and Rice
This Chicken Fajita Casserole makes comfort food so easy. All that you need to do is put the ingredients on a bed of rice for a "casserole over rice" effect (which is how we grew up eating it).
A Brief Overview of Fajita Casserole Chicken
Cheesy Chicken Fajita BakeShredded Chicken Thighs is smothered in a spicy mixture of bell pepper and onions, piled on a bed of instant white rice and then baked with ooey-gooey melty cheese on top.
This Keto Fajita Casserole can be made ahead of time and you can easily send it to your family members or friends or neighbours.
You can’t go wrong with this Chicken Fajita Casserole with Spanish rice
This simple low carb Fajita Casserole can be cooked on the stove or in the oven. We all love Chicken Fajitas. But, let's face it. It's a real-pain to actually clean up.
But, with this Keto Fajita Casserole all you have to do is clean just one casserole dish.
Here are some things that I love about this chicken fajita casserole recipe with rice.
Ingredients to make healthy chicken fajita casserole
This Mexican-inspired casserole with rice requires very few ingredients.
- cooked instant rice
- cooked shredded chicken thighs
- canned diced tomatoes
- green bell pepper
- yellow bell pepper (or orange bell pepper)
- red bell pepper
- diced onions
- minced garlic
- cream of chicken soup
- fajita seasoning
- Mexican cheese blend
- shredded queso
How to Make Fajita Chicken and Rice Casserole
STEP 1: Layer cooked rice, cooked shredded chicken thighs, canned diced tomatoes, green bell pepper, yellow bell pepper, red bell pepper, diced onions, freshly minced garlic, cream of chicken soup, and fajita seasoning in a 9x9 inch casserole dish or large 9x13 inch casserole dish.
STEP 2: Use a spoon to combine everything together. Top with shredded Mexican cheese blend and shredded queso.
STEP 3: Bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese melts.
HINT: Use my homemade Fajita Seasoning for best taste and flavor.
Cooking Variations for Keto Fajita Chicken Casserole
- You can make it on the stove - Stove tops chicken fajita is pretty easy. Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add cooked rice, shredded chicken, tomatoes, bell peppers, cream of chicken soup, onions and garlic in the skillet. Toss well with fajita seasoning. Lower the heat to medium-low. Top with cheese. Cover with a glass lid and cook until the cheese melts. See this recipe for Chicken Enchilada Pasta on stove top for more help.
- You can make this in the slow cooker - Slow cooker casseroles are one of my favorites. Just add raw chicken along with rice, fajita seasoning, bell pepper, cream of chicken soup, onions, and garlic in a skillet. Pour chicken broth as per requirement (to cook chicken and rice). Cover with the glass lid. Cook for 3 hours on HIGH or 6 hours on LOW. Top with shredded cheese of your choice. Cover with lid. Cook on HIGH for another additional 30-minutes or until cheese melts. See recipes like The Best Cajun Chicken and Rice Casserole or Crockpot Chicken Thighs in Creamy Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- Top with crushed doritos - I love crushed doritos. It adds a spicy, crunchy, and a hint of smoky flavor to the casserole. Much like this Nacho Cheese Dorito Chicken Casserole
- Top with crispy bacon - Crispy baked bacon can be added on the chicken fajita and rice casserole. Much like this Keto Chicken Bacon Ranch Casserole
Easy Substitutions for baked chicken fajita casserole
- Cream Cheese - Want a creamy, tangy, rich, and smooth taste? Try adding some cream cheese.
- Your favorite Cheese - When it comes to choosing for the best cheese for your fajita casserole, I would strongly suggest you to go with something that you really really like. Mozzarella Cheese, Pepperjack, Monterey Jack, or Mexican cheese blend.
- Spicy Sausage - Do you think this dish would fall flat? Add some spicy sausages while cooking chicken fajita casserole.
- Cauliflower rice - You can replace instant rice with cauliflower rice and make Keto Cauliflower Rice and Chicken Casserole
Top Tips to make Fajita Chicken Breasts Casserole
- Instead of using regular instant rice, make spanish rice and serve your chicken fajita casserole with spanish rice.
- Check the doneness of chicken (only if you are using uncooked chicken breasts) using a meat thermometer.
- I like to use Instant rice and cook it as per package directions.
- Cook onions, pepper, and garlic separately on a skillet with some avocado oil and then add them to the casserole.
- You can also add shredded queso for more flavor.
- Leave out the green peppers if you don't like them. Stick to red, orange, and yellow peppers for best taste and flavor.
- Instead of chicken breasts you can use chicken thighs. But, make sure you increase the cooking time by at least 10-minutes.
Serving Suggestions for cheesy chicken fajita bake
This recipe for easy chicken fajita casserole is so easy to play around with. You can serve them with:
- Baked Beans - I like to serve mine with slow cooker baked beans with crispy bacon and maple.
- Baked Bacon - Classic american topping that works as a great side dish for me.
- Tostadas - Tostadas makes a great side dish for this one dish chicken fajita bake.
- Green Beans - Roasted Green beans makes a great side for this fajita and rice casserole.
- broccoli - Crispy Air Fryer Broccoli topped with lemon juice and shredded parmesan cheese makes it a great side.
One dish chicken fajita bake Storage Instructions
Although this is so delicious that you probably won't have any leftovers. But still, if you want to store leftover fajita chicken breast casserole you can do the following:
- Allow the fajita casserole to cool down completely.
- Transfer to an airtight container.
- Wrap it with an aluminum foil.
- Double wrap with a plastic wrap, make sure no part is exposed to the freezer.
- Freeze for 2-months or Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- Make sure you thaw it and then reheat it in a preheated oven @ 350 degrees F until the cheese is melts on top.
Chicken Fajita Casserole Recipe (With Rice)
- 2 cups instant rice cooked as per package directions
- 4 pieces boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil divided
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup onions diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup bell peppers any 3 colors (red, orange, yellow)
- 1 14 fl. oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 10.5 fl oz can cream of chicken soup
- 2 tablespoons fajita seasoning
- salt & pepper as per taste
- 1 cup mexican cheese blend shredded
- ½ cup queso shredded
- 1 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 pack crushed doritos any flavor that you like
- ½ cup Avocados thinly sliced
- Cook instant rice as per package directions and set aside.
Cook Chicken Thighs
- Heat a skillet with some olive oil. Add boneless skinless chicken thighs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on medium-high heat for 5-minutes. Use tongs to flip the chicken.
- Add chicken broth and cover cook for 7-10 minutes or until the internal temperature of chicken is 165 degrees F. You can measure this with an instant read thermometer.
- Remove the chicken from pan and shred chicken. You can use two forks to shred chicken. Or use the paddle attachment on the stand mixer. Increase the speed to 2. Your chicken will be shredded in less than 15 seconds.
Cook Onions and Bell peppers
- By the time your chicken is cooking, heat a pan with some olive oil. Add diced onions, and sauté until lightly golden brown. Add in garlic and sauté for not more than 30-seconds or until fragrant.
- Now add in thinly sliced bell peppers. Sauté until they soften.
- Remove from skillet and keep it aside.
Make Fajita Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F or 180°C
- Grease a 9x9 inch baking dish with avocado oil or olive oil.
- Spread cooked instant rice on the bottom. Top it with cooked shredded chicken thighs and a can of diced tomatoes.
- Add sauteéd onions, garlic, and bell peppers.
- Stir in fajita seasoning, salt and pepper. Fajita seasoning already contains salt. So check the taste before adding extra salt and pepper.
- Stir in in cream of chicken soup.
- Top with shredded Mexican cheese blend and shredded queso.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly on top.
- [OPTIONAL] - Garnish with chopped cilantro, sour cream, avocados, and crushed doritos.