This is the absolute best beef stroganoff recipe where juicy beef, onions, mushrooms, and egg noodles are simmered in a creamy, hearty, comforting broth until its melt in your mouth-tender. Try our favorite - Best Meatloaf Recipe ever with homemade Meatloaf Seasoning.
This classic and comforting recipe for slow-cooker beef stroganoff will never go out of style. It's something that has been in my house for ages probably.
Make sure you also try: Vegan Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe
What is beef stroganoff?
Basically, Beef stroganoff (or Stroganov) is a Russian recipe that has gained popularity in the recent times.
This beef stroganoff recipe has been Americanized in so many ways.
We like to add mushrooms, sour cream, cream cheese, cream of mushrooms, cream of celery, or simply a packaged mix.
But, the variations are simply endless...
Some prefer not using Mushrooms. Some replace egg noodles with any sort of pasta that they like.
Basically Slow cooker beef stroganoff is a very hearty, comforting and forgiving dish.
You can play around with the ingredients and still the results will be same - Melt in your Morsel - every single time. isn't that simply great?
I like to make it in my crockpot. I love how the flavors slowly comes together at the end of the day in one single pot and that too without much effort.
What is Stroganoff?
Stroganoff is a sauce that makes the beef juicy, tender, and creamy. Stroganoff sauce is made with sour cream, white wine, cream cheese, worcestershire sauce, and beef broth. It has mushrooms in it and is typically flavored with dijon mustard. The sauce is thickened with flour or cornstarch.
It has a creamy pale brown color and this is exactly what a classic stroganoff sauce looks like.
Why is it called Stroganoff?
As I said, basically it's a Russian dish. So you can guess that the name must have some Russian story behind it.
So, I am not sure but some say it is named after Count Alexander Grigorievich Stroganoff who used to live in Odessa.
What does stroganoff mean in Russian? - Stroganoff means beef chunks cooked in a creamy sauce flavored with mustard and smetana (sour cream).
What are the Ingredients for beef stroganoff
To make slow cooker beef stroganoff you will need the following ingredients:
- stewing beef
- red wine
- salt and pepper
- Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- beef broth
- sour cream
- cream cheese
- egg noodles
How do you make beef stroganoff in a crockpot?
Making Crockpot beef stroganoff is just like 1,2,3... There are just 3 steps in making this.
STEP 1: Heat a pan with some olive oil. Cook your beef and onions until brown.
STEP 2: Deglaze the skillet with Red Wine. Now transfer beef, onion and mixture into a crockpot.
STEP 3: Add seasonings along with Mushrooms, Dijon Mustard and Worcestershire Sauce in a 6qt slow cooker.
STEP 4: Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
STEP 5: Whisk Remaining Beef broth with cornstarch and pour the mixture into the crockpot. Cover the crockpot with a lid. Cook on HIGH for another 20-minutes.
STEP 6: Open the lid and add in Sour Cream and Cream Cheese. Season with salt and pepper as per taste.
STEP 7: Stir in cooked egg noodles until they are completely coated in the sauce. Sprinkle Parsley and serve.
What is Stroganoff served with
Wondering what is traditionally served with beef stroganoff? Traditionally in Russia Beef stroganoff is served on fried shoestring potatoes or rice or mashed potatoes.
Here in US, I've seen people serving it over Pasta. Particularly Egg Noodles.
You can serve this with anything that soaks up the gravy. That's it. The creamy sauce just needs a vehicle. Which vehicle? That's totally up to you!!
What is a good salad to serve with beef stroganoff?
It's probably not common to serve beef stroganoff with a salad. But, to keep your dinner light, I recommend you choose some of these easy and light salads.
- Moroccan Beet Salad - Its vibrant red and full of flavors.
- Cucumber Red Onion Avocado Salad - It's so fresh and refreshing.
- Watermelon, Cucumber & Feta Cheese Salad - All time comforting salad.
More Beef Recipes
- Best Flank Steak Marinade Recipe
- Best Meatloaf Recipe ever!
- The Best Beef Barbacoa Recipe Ever (Crockpot)
- Easy Beef Wellington Recipe
Easy Crockpot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
- 2 pounds beef stew meat cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup onion 1 large onion diced
- ½ cup red wine
- ½ pound mushrooms sliced
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth 17 ounces of beef broth
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic 2 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 8 ounces sour cream 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces cream cheese cut into small 1-inch cubes
- 12 ounces egg noodles cooked in salt water according to the package directions
- Fresh chopped parsley for garnish
- Spray the crockpot with nonstick cooking spray and set it aside.
- Season the beef stew with salt and pepper to taste.2 pounds beef stew meat, Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with some olive oil and unsalted butter.1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Once butter melts add diced onions and beef.½ cup onion
- Brown beef and cook until the onions are translucent. About 10-12 minutes.
- Pour in red wine and deglaze the pan. Transfer the mixture to the crockpot.½ cup red wine
- Add Mushrooms, Worcestershire Sauce, minced garlic, dijon mustard, and beef broth. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 HOURS OR on HIGH for 4-5 HOURS.½ pound mushrooms, 1 tablespoon dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce, 2 cups low sodium beef broth, 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- Combine 3 tablespoons cornstarch with 3 tablespoons of cold water. Mix well to make a slurry. Pour it into the3 tablespoons cornstarch, 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cook on HIGH for an additional 15-20 minutes or until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in Cream Cheese and Sour Cream. Whisk until cream cheese melts.8 ounces sour cream, 4 ounces cream cheese
- Serve over egg noodles. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.12 ounces egg noodles, Fresh chopped parsley
- Use Any sweet fruit flavored red wine such as Merlot or Pinot Noir. They have less Tannin (that bitter flavor) and boosts up other flavors in the dish. Please avoid "cooking wine" in the Supermarkets.
- Choose sliced baby bella mushrooms or any other mushrooms that you like.