This Homemade Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is an easy recipe to make in the crock pot.
Loaded with shredded chicken, potato gnocchi, thyme, freshly grated nutmeg, celery, carrots, and spinach is the ultimate comfort food 😌 when you are looking for ways to warm up on a cold day ❄️ or you just need a warm hug 🤗
- 🙋♀️What is Gnocchi?
- 🍳Ingredients to make Creamy Gnocchi Soup
- 🍲How to Make Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- 📖Cooking Variations
- 🥘What to serve with Gnocchi Soup?
- 💁How Long Can I Store Leftover Gnocchi Soup?
- ☃️Can I Freeze my Chicken Gnocchi Soup?
- 🎩Top Tips & Tricks for the Best Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup in a Crock Pot (Olive Garden Copycat)
🙋♀️What is Gnocchi?
Gnocchi is basically potato dumplings that is made from mashed potato, eggs, flour, and salt. Sometimes people add cheese as well to make their gnocchi.
I have shared how to make Gnocchi from scratch here in this Gnocchi with Tomato Sauce and Mozzarella Recipe.
So, Gnocchi is called "lumps" in italian. Many people substitute mashed potato for ricotta cheese, eggs, parmesan cheese, and flour to make their gnocchi.
Gnocchi is an excellent source of Protein, Carbohydrates, and Vitamins❤️🩹 You can create so many recipes with Gnocchi. The most common being Gnocchi in tomato sauce.
Chicken Gnocchi Soup is a delicious way and the MOST easiest way to get the family happy. Especially on those cold winter evenings ❄️ when you are craving for something warm and comforting.
I personally think, Gnocchi is MORE than comfort food. Homemade Chicken Gnocchi Soup is pretty basic. Start with onions, carrots, celery, and garlic. Sauté them lightly until fragrant.🍲
Traditionally, the Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup Recipe uses a roux. So, we can make the roux separately and add it to our crock pot towards the end.
Or you can make it directly right here. I prefer the latter. Just combine flour with your veggies. Slowly pour in Chicken Broth and Half and Half. Stir lightly until your soup is lightly thick and creamy.
Add in chicken and spices. Cook Partially. Dump it all in the crock pot. Cook and finally add potato gnocchi and roughly chopped fresh baby spinach leaves. Cook for an additional 20-minutes and then your creamy chicken gnocchi soup is ready. Voila!🙌
🍳Ingredients to make Creamy Gnocchi Soup
- olive oil
- Yellow or White onions
- celery stalks
- shredded carrots
- freshly minced cloves of garlic
- all purpose flour
- half and half
- low sodium chicken broth
- dried thyme or fresh thyme
- nutmeg freshly grated
- potato gnocchi
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- fresh spinach leaves chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- freshly shredded parmesan cheese
see the recipe card for quantities.
🍲How to Make Olive Garden Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Sauté veggies
In a large pot sauté onions, celery, and shredded carrots on medium low until soften. Add garlic and cook until aromatic.
- Whisk Flour and Stir in Heavy Cream and Chicken Broth
Whisk in all-purpose flour. Slowly pour in Heavy Cream, and Low Sodium Chicken Broth. Stir gently and bring it to a slow boil.
- Add chicken and everything else
Add Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts, Salt, Freshly Ground Black Pepper, Dried Thyme, and Freshly Grated Nutmeg. Cook on medium-high for 4-5 minutes until chicken gets cooked partially.
- Cook in Crock Pot
Pour this mixture in your crock pot. Cover with a glass lid. Cook on High for 2 hours or on Low for 3 hours.
- Add Potato Gnocchi, Spinach, and Parmesan Cheese
Add Potato Gnocchi, Freshly chopped baby spinach, remaining heavy cream, and freshly shredded parmesan cheese. Stir well and cook on High for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately.
- Chicken Thighs - You can substitute Chicken Breasts for Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs. I am always excited about chicken thighs as they turn out to be juicier.
- Evaporated Milk or Heavy Cream - You can use Evaporated Milk or Heavy Cream to make your chicken gnocchi soup.
- Kale - Spinach is good. But, if you don't like spinach, you can use fresh kale.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes - Want your Gnocchi soup to be lightly spicy? Add a teaspoon or 1/2 teaspoon of Crushed Red Pepper Flakes.
- More Seasoning - Do you feel your soup lacks seasoning? Try add 1 tablespoon of Italian Seasoning and about 1 teaspoon of Dried Basil if you want.
- Cornstarch Slurry - Stir 2 tablespoons cornstarch in 3 tablespoons of water. Add it to your soup and your soup would be thick and creamy.
Not interested in this recipe😑You might like these soups instead!🧐
- Creamy Potato Soup
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup
- Cheesy Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
- Butternut Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
🥘What to serve with Gnocchi Soup?
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup is already packed with so many flavors, protein, and veggies.
💁How Long Can I Store Leftover Gnocchi Soup?
Leftover Chicken Gnocchi Soup can be stored for 3 to 4 days in the refrigerator. But, it has to be kept in mind that you must store your gnocchi soup appropriately in an air-tight container.
☃️Can I Freeze my Chicken Gnocchi Soup?
Allow the soup to cool down completely. Transfer the soup to a ziplock bag or any airtight container.
You can store this in the freezer for upto 2 months.
To Reheat Soup:🔥
If you want to reheat your soup, allow it to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight. Reheat it over low heat stirring often until completely warmed through.
The gnocchi soaks in moisture and becomes thick eventually. But, if you feel it needs to me more liquidy, then you can add some half and half until it reaches the desired consistency.
Should I use fresh or Store Bought Gnocchi?
You can use whatever Gnocchi that you like. I like little pillowy potato gnocchi since that is what my family likes. Homemade Gnocchi or store bought or fresh or Frozen it is totally up to you.
Can I use Frozen Spinach?
NO. I would strongly suggest you to use Fresh baby spinach to make the BEST Gnocchi Soup. Frozen Spinach will get mushy in the cooking process and you just won't like it.
Can't I just dump it all in my Slow Cooker?
Yes, I don't see why not.
- Just dump everything in your Slow Cooker - chicken, onions, shredded carrots, garlic, celery, broth, thyme, nutmeg, salt, freshly ground black pepper in your slow cooker.
- Cover and Cook - Cover your Slow Cooker with a lid. Cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours.
- Stir in Half and Half - Finally, stir in Half and Half or Evaporated Milk or Heavy Cream.
- Add Gnocchi and Spinach - Lastly, add Potato Gnocchi and Spinach into your slow cooker. Cook on HIGH for 20-30 minutes.
- Taste and Adjust Seasoning - Immediately taste your soup. Adjust seasoning as per your taste.
- Top with parmesan and Serve - Top with Freshly shredded parmesan Cheese and Serve right away.
🎩Top Tips & Tricks for the Best Chicken Gnocchi Soup
- Use Best Ingredients - The best way to make the most amazing Chicken Gnocchi soup is to ONLY use the best quality Ingredients. Check the contents of your Gnocchi. It should contain fresh ingredients.
- Buy Good Quality Chicken - Whenever you buy chicken make sure you use best quality chicken.
- Use Organic Vegetables - This might sound boring but this is important. Only use fresh and Organic vegetables to make this soup.
- Use Best Quality Chicken broth - This is another super important tip. It makes your soup taste so amazing. The best thing would be to use homemade chicken broth if possible.
- Use Fresh Herbs if you've got them - You can use fresh thyme and fresh rosemary if you have them.
More pasta recipes to try:
Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup in a Crock Pot (Olive Garden Copycat)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onions yellow or white (diced)
- 1 medium stalk celery about ½ cup diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2-3 cloves garlic freshly minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half divided
- 1 14 oz (can) low sodium chicken broth
- 1 Tablespoon dried thyme or fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated
- 1 16 oz (pack) potato gnocchi
- 1 cup boneless skinless chicken breasts diced or shredded
- 1 cup fresh spinach leaves chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly shredded parmesan cheese
- In a large pot add olive oil and butter. Sauté onions, celery, and shredded carrots over medium heat for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another 1 minute.
- Add flour and whisk it in. Slowly pour in Low Sodium Chicken Broth and Half and Half. Stir it in.
- Add chicken, salt, and pepper. thyme, and freshly grated nutmeg. Give it a quick stir. Cook on medium-low for 4-5 minutes until chicken is partially cooked.
- Pour this mixture into a crock pot. Cover with a glass lid and cook on High for 2 hours or on LOW for 3 hours.
- Finally, add potato gnocchi and roughly chopped fresh baby spinach. Add the remaining half and half. Add some freshly shredded parmesan cheese. Stir well. Cover and cook on High for 15-20 minutes. Once done, serve immediately.