Creamy Chicken Marsala - one of the MOST ordered Chicken recipes in the restaurants is basically crispy fried chicken coated in a Creamy Mushroom and Marsala wine sauce.
Marsala wine is Sicilian Fortified wine that adds a Caramel-y tone to the dish. It is balanced out with heavy cream. The result is something heavenly! Serve this with rice or risotto and your dinner is sorted. For a healthier version serve this with Cauliflower rice or Cauliflower rice risotto.
Chicken Marsala is an Americanised version of the traditional Italian Scallopini.
There is simply no recipe like this. The super-creamy Mushroom sauce is packed with goodness in every single bite. All of this is cooked in one single pan so that the goodness of the chicken is retained in the sauce.
Chicken Marsala uses very few ingredients. Here are the things you'll need to make this recipe.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Flour, Salt, and Pepper
- Butter and Olive Oil
- Fresh Button Mushrooms
- Garlic cloves
- Dry Marsala Wine
- Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- Heavy Cream
- Fresh Chopped Parsley
See recipe card for quantities. Also check out the video for a visual.
Step 1: Cut Chicken into thin fillet
Before I pound my chicken, I cut them into thin fillets. I prefer not to buy thin chicken fillets from the market.
Step 2: Coat Chicken
Coat Chicken in Flour, Salt, and Pepper. Coat both sides of chicken evenly.
Step 3: Sear Chicken in a skillet
I prefer using a stainless steel skillet for even browning. Add butter and olive oil. Add chicken and sear both sides until crispy brown. Once done, take them out of the pan and keep them aside.
Step 4: Sauté Mushrooms
In the same pan, add some more butter and olive oil. Add sliced mushrooms and cook until they brown completely. The fact that we are cooking in the same pan is actually gonna help us achieve more flavors. The brown bits of chicken in the pan adds so much flavor to the sauce.
Step 5: Make Marsala sauce
Now, add Marsala wine, Heavy Cream, Chicken Broth, Flour, Salt, Pepper, Thyme, and Oregano. Cook for about 2-3 minutes.
Step 6: Add Garlic
I like to add Garlic at the very end so that the kick of garlic is retained throughout in the sauce.
Step 7: Add Chicken back into the skillet
Now bring your crispy fried chicken fillets back into the skillet. Simmer your sauce for about 2-3 minutes on low heat.
Step 8: Garnish and Serve
Finally, garnish your chicken marsala with freshly chopped parsley and serve with rice, pasta, or risotto.
Hint: Don't Pound your chicken with a meat tenderizer before cutting them into thin fillets. First cut them into thin fillets and then pound them with a meat mallet.
If you want to make Keto or Low Carb Chicken Marsala then you can make the following substitutions.
- Flour - You can skip the flour completely from the recipe.
- Arrowroot Powder - To thicken the sauce you can use Arrowroot Powder.
- Heavy Cream - Though Heavy cream is low in carbs, but if you want you can skip it completely from your recipe.
- Gluten-Free Chicken Marsala - If you are looking for Gluten Free Chicken marsala recipe or you are cooking for someone who is intolerant to gluten then you can replace flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Honestly, I haven't tried the Keto Version or Low Carb Version of Chicken Marsala so I cannot comment how it would taste. You can check out the recipe for Creamy Keto Chicken Marsala here from Kasey Trenum.
- Shallots - Though many people add shallots while browning mushrooms, but, I've avoided it. You can add shallots if you like them.
- Thyme - While making the coating for the chicken to dredge in, you can add some dried thyme as well.
- Portobello Mushrooms or Cremini Mushrooms- Instead of Button Mushrooms you can use Portobello Mushrooms or Cremini Mushrooms or Pre-sliced Bella Mushrooms.
🥗 Serving Suggestions
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
Creamy Chicken Marsala Recipe (+ video)
- Pan or Skillet
- ½ cup AP Flour
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 large Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts halved horizontally into 4 fillets
- 1 stick Unsalted Butter
- 1 tablespoon Butter
- 9 oz Mushrooms sliced
- ½ cup Marsala Wine
- 2 cup Chicken Broth low sodium
- 1 cup Heavy Cream or Evaporated Milk or Half and Half
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 5-6 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- chopped Parsley for garnish
- Combine Flour, Salt and Pepper in a shallow bowl. Dredge the Chicken Breasts in the flour.
- Heat Butter and Olive Oil in a skillet or pan. As the butter melts, add the Chicken Breasts and cook on medium-low heat for 3 minutes until the Chicken browns on both sides. (The Chicken doesn't has to get completly cooked through at this point). Once done, remove from the pan and keep aide.
- In the same pan, add some more Butter. As the butter shimmers, throw in the chopped Mushrooms and saute until they brown for 2-3 minutes. Scrape off any leftover chicken pieces which might have got stuck to the bottom of the pan.
- Now, pour in Marsala and the Chicken Broth. Throw in some flour, minced garlic, Oregano and Thyme. Stir to combine. Simmer over low heat for 3-4 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens.
- Pour in the heavy cream and stir until combined. At this point, bring back the Chicken to the simmering sauce. Cook for 3-4 minutes and allow the sauce to thicken
- Garnish with chopped Parsley and serve