Easy creamed spinach recipe - Baby spinach is tossed in a creamy, rich, buttery sauce and served with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.
Fresh Baby Spinach is combined in a buttery, creamy, smooth sauce that is flavored with caramelized onions and sautéed garlic. Garnished with freshly grated Parmesan cheese, this side dish is a total game changer.🎊
Easy Creamed Spinach Recipe
You can use frozen or fresh spinach to make this. But I like to use fresh spinach to make this recipe.
Why You'll Love this recipe
- This is probably the most easiest side dish that you can make in less than 30 minutes.
- If you love spinach then they should be your go to recipe.
- You just cannot compare the creaminess of this spinach recipe with anything else out there.
- The final touches of ground nutmeg makes it worthwhile.
Readers Love these Spinach recipes
- Spinach Ricotta Stuffed Shells in Alfredo Sauce
- Spinach Ricotta and Corn Empanadas
- Cheesy Spinach Dip Puff Bites
- Best Spinach Soup Recipe with Crispy Garlic Croutons
- Melted Butter
- All Purpose Flour
- Kosher Salt
- Ricotta Cheese
- Heavy Cream
- Baby Spinach
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Ground nutmeg
- Freshly Ground Black Pepper
How to Make Creamed Spinach from Scratch
- Step 1 - Sauté onion and garlic
Add melted butter to a skillet. Add finely chopped onions and freshly minced cloves of garlic. Sauté until the onions become light brown and lightly caramelized.
- Step 2 - Combine Flour and Salt
Combine Flour and salt with sautéed onions and garlic. Cook for a minute until the flour isn't raw anymore.
- Step 3 - Add ricotta cheese and pour heavy cream slowly
I like to add ricotta cheese at this stage. It brings and added creaminess and a lightly tarty taste to our creamed spinach. Next, I like to pour in heavy cream little at a time and keep mixing until everything combines well.
- Step 4 - Add baby spinach
Now add baby spinach and toss until spinach wilts. This takes hardly a minute or two.
- Step 5 - Add Ground Nutmeg and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Add 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Toss lightly until combined.
Step 6 - Add Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
Turn off the heat. Add Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese. Toss lightly and serve right away.
- Cream Cheese - I love that tarty effect in my creamed spinach therefore if you want you can replace ricotta with cream cheese.
- Ground Cinnamon - Cinnamon has a nutty taste to itself. If you want you can add just
- Cayenne - If you love to add some heat to your recipe then you can add some cayenne pepper as well.
- Gruyere Cheese - add a rich, creamy, salty and nutty flavor to your cream spinach with some grated Gruyere cheese.
TIPS To Make The Best Creamed Spinach
- If you are using frozen spinach then make sure you thaw it out and squeeze out as much water as possible before using it for your recipe.
- I have used heavy cream for this recipe if you want you can replace heavy cream with whole milk.
- I do not recommend trying out this recipe with one percent or 2% milk because the consistency won't be up to the mark.
- Add Parmesan cheese after removing the skillet from heat or else your cheese will be separate and will not combine with creamed spinach.
- Always use freshly grated Parmesan cheese for best texture and consistency I do not recommend that powdered Parmesan cheese which you get in those green cans.
Gluten Free Version
If you want to make your Creamed Spinach Gluten Free then all you have to do is just replace all purpose flour with almond flour or coconut flour.
Fortunately, there is a Keto version of Creamed Spinach that I am going to share with you guys here.
To make Keto Creamed Spinach you can make the following replacements.
- Replace All Purpose Flour with Almond Flour or Coconut Flour.
- Ricotta cheese is high in carbs. But a small amount of Ricotta cheese won't hurt your keto diet.
My Favorite Spinach Recipes
- Spinach and Mozzarella Stuffed Chicken Breasts
- White Bean Quesadillas with Baby Spinach
- Spinach Lasagna
- Spinach Ricotta Orzo Stuffed Peppers
Creamed Spinach Recipe
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic freshly minced
- 4 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 pound fresh spinach leaves washed, rinsed, and dried
- 1 cup heavy cream or half and half or milk
- 4 ounces ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Add finely chopped onions and freshly minced cloves of garlic. Sauté until the onions turn light brown (about 2-3 minutes). Add garlic and sauté until fragrant. (about 30-45 seconds)
- Add flour and cook (about 1-minute) until the rawness of flour goes away. Season with Salt.
- Add ricotta cheese and Pour Heavy Cream. Cook until becomes thick and bubbly.
- Add washed, rinsed, drained, and finely chopped baby spinach leaves. Cook until the spinach wilts (about 2-3 minutes). If its gets too thick while cooking then add heavy cream and toss until combined.
- Sprinkle some freshly ground nutmeg and toss well to combine.
- Take it off the heat and stir in freshly grated parmesan cheese and freshly cracked black pepper. Serve right away.