Coconut Black Eyed Peas Curry is a Vegan, Low Carb, Healthy Dinner recipe. This Indian Curry is sweet and sour, with a nice and aromatic flavor of Creamy Coconut Milk and Desiccated Coconut. This is so easy to make in the Instant Pot or Crockpot or even in a Dutch Pot. Serve this with Basmati rice or Naan Bread for a wholesome dinner recipe, perfect for New Year's Day!🥳🥳🥳
Happy New Year everyone! This is my first post in 2022 and I am more than excited to welcome y'all to my blog.🥳🙏
This year like every other Year, I am opening with Black Eyed Peas recipe. If you're a regular reader of my blog, you know how every year, I have made it a tradition to share one of my favourite Black Eyed Peas recipe with y'all. 😊😊
Of course, because its what I believe Lucky New Year's Day food and moreover its just delicious. The perfect break from Chicken and Meat and all other Christmas stuff! Also try my
Also, January marks the beginning of my #VeganuarywithRecipeMagik Challenge. I love to detox from Meat this month and eat healthy and vegan food all of January. Join me in my journey for a healthier and vegan monthly dinner. I'm sure you'll enjoy all of these Vegan Dinners. 🌱🌱🌱
This amazing Vegan Curry is inspired from my love for Indian Food. Curries are my go to recipes for a comforting one pot dinner and whats better for a New Years Day dinner than this tasty, delicious and satisfying bowl of Black Eyed Peas Curry with some Rice! Oh! Its sooo good!😋😋😋😋
Let's Talk Taste😋😋
Trust me on this! This Black Eyed Peas Curry is the definition of Comfort food. Yea! I know, many people do not associate Indian food with comfort food because its spicy. But this is just the opposite of spicy! Its rater sweet, tangy, creamy and something you will fall in love with from the first spoon itself! 😍😍😍
- Black Eyed Peas - No soaking required. They will easily get cooked in the pressure cooker.
- Olive Oil - I like to use Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Onions - You can use Red or Yellow onions
- Garlic - Minced garlic for flavours
- Diced Tomatoes - A hint of tanginess
- Tomato Sauce - to build the flavours
- Coconut Milk - I use Lite Coconut milk. Its actually the 2% of Regular Coconut Milk, is rather watery and runny and low in fat.
- Desiccated Coconut - To give the curry a slight crunch of Coconut
- Ground Spices - Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, Garam Masala, Salt & Pepper
- Green onions - Finely chopped for garnish.
See recipe card for quantities. Also watch the video for a quick visual.
👩🍳 Coconut Black Eyed Peas Curry (STEP BY STEP GUIDE)
STEP 1: SAUTE ONION AND GARLIC
- Put Instant Pot to saute mode
- Add Olive Oil in the pot. As the oil shimmers, add chopped Onions and cook until they soften
- Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Add the chopped Tomatoes and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the ground spices - Turmeric, Cayenne Pepper, Ground Cumin, Ground Coriander, Garam Masala, Salt & Pepper.
- Cook the ground spices for about a minute
STEP 2: ADD BEANS
- Pour Coconut Milk and stir to combine
- Next add the Tomato Sauce and Desiccated Coconut. Stir until combined.
- Add the Beans. Stir until combined.
STEP 3: PRESSURE COOK
- Cover and Pressure cook for 10 min
- After it gets cooked, quick release the pressure.
STEP 4: GARNISH & SERVE
- Garnish with finely chopped Green Onions and serve with rice or naan bread.
If you don't have all the above mentioned Ground Spices at home, you can skip some of it.
You can skip Turmeric if you have to.
You can skip Garam Masala and use Ground Cinnamon and Ground Nutmeg Instead. Its not the perfect replacement but will give you similar flavours when in a pinch.
I highly recommend you use Ground Coriander. However, skip it if you have to but use Indian Curry Powder. Its the perfect replacement for all other spices.
This is an Indian Curry Recipe so I have used some Ground Spices. However, feel free to skip them if you want to.
For a Mexican twist, use Chipotle Peppers along with Cumin and Oregano. It will give this recipe a spicy Mexican twist.
You can skip all the ground spices and use Thai Red Curry Paste or Green Curry Paste to give this curry a Thai Makeover!
🥘 Cooking Variations
Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas Curry
You can cook this same recipe in the Slow Cooker. For a Slow Cooker Black Eyed Peas Curry, saute onions and garlic along with all the other ingredients until fragrant in a skillet.
Now, dump this spice mix along with Beans, Tomato Sauce, Coconut Milk and Desiccated Coconut in a greased Crockpot. Stir and Cover cook on low for 3-4 hours or on high for 2 hours.
Once cooked, garnish with chopped Green Onions and serve.
You can easily store leftovers of this Black Eyed Peas Curry in an airtight container in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks. Just reheat it in the oven and serve with rice.
More Indian Vegetarian Curries
- Chickpea and Pumpkin Curry in Crockpot
- Vegan Lentil Coconut Curry in Crockpot
- Baked Eggplant Curry - Sri Lankan Eggplant Curry
- Butter Cauliflower Curry
- Summer Creamy Coconut Chickpea Curry With Rice
- Creamy Coconut Mushroom Curry
- Turmeric Roasted Chickpea Curry | Instant Pot or Skillet
- Tofu Tikka Masala
I hope you liked this recipe and shall make it soon. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below and rate this recipe. Also, tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.😇😍
Coconut Black Eyed Peas Curry
- 1 cup Black Eyed Peas no soaking required
- 1 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 large Onion finely chopped (red or yellow)
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 can Diced Tomatoes
- ½ cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups Coconut Milk I use Lite Coconut Milk
- 1 cup Desiccated Coconut shredded
- 1 teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper or Red Chili Powder
- 2 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoon Ground Coriander or Curry Powder
- 1½ teaspoon Garam Masala
- Salt & Pepper as per taste
- Green Onions finely chopped
- Put the Instant Pot to saute mode. Add Olive Oil in it. As the oil shimmers, add the chopped Onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Next, add the minced Garlic and cook until fragrant. Next throw in the diced tomatoes, Tomato Sauce and all the Ground Spices, including Salt and Pepper. Toss to combine everything and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Pour Coconut milk and scrape off anything which might have got stuck to the bottom of the pot. Also add the desiccated Coconut & Dried Black Eyed Peas, and stir to combine. Cover with the lid and pressure cook for 10 min. After it gets cooked, quick release the pressure.
- Garnish with finely chopped Green Onions and serve with Rice or Naan Bread.