Baked Chicken Empanadas are made with shredded Chicken, Sweet Bell Peppers, Jalapeños, Tomatoes, Mexican Cheese, and Mexican Spices.
These Chicken Empanadas are crispy on the outside with a spicy and tasty shredded Chicken filling on the inside and are so delicious!
I just love Empanadas. These authentic Spanish favorite savory Pastries are stuffed with Chicken, Ground beef, Vegetables, Sea Food, or Cheese and are baked until crispy. Empanadas can also be made with a sweet filling or fruit and nut filling inside them. Have you tried these Spinach and Corn Empanadas or Sweet Empanadas?
These can be deep-fried or baked. Well, I have gone for the healthier option and baked these and they turn out so great. You can also Air Fry these Empanadas.
What makes authentic Spanish Chicken Empanadas SO CRISPY is the use of Lard instead of butter in making the Pastry dough.
Argentinian Chicken Empanadas
While Empanadas originally are from Northwest Spain, these are hugely popular in Mexico and Argentina. Especially, Chicken and Vegetable Empanadas is a true blue Argentinian style Empanada which people love!
While making it at home, I use my homemade Pastry dough recipe. It's super easy and makes for the perfect crispy Empanadas at home, every time.
You can also use Frozen Pastry Sheets. These Pastry sheets are available easily in all grocery stores and supermarkets. You will find them in the frozen section. All you got to do is thaw them overnight in the refrigerator before use and they will be perfect for use. Saves so much time and is always responsible for the crispiest and flakiest pastries.
Ingredients needed to make Chicken Empanadas
- Pastry Sheets
- Chicken Breasts (Precooked & Shredded)
- Olive Oil
- Onions (finely chopped)
- Garlic (minced)
- Jalapenos (chopped)
- Bell Pepper (chopped)
- Enchilada Sauce
- Spices - Ground Cumin, Smoked Paprika, Taco Seasoning, Salt & Pepper
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- Eggs (for Eggwash)
Take A Quick Look at the Video for Baked Chicken Empanadas
How to make Chicken Empanadas at home from scratch?
Step 1: Making the Pastry Dough
Although, I recommend that you buy frozen Pastry sheets. However, if you want to make it from scratch, you can do that as well. It's pretty simple and easy.
- Combine All Purpose Flour with Cold Butter cubes.
- Use a Pastry Blender to cut down the cold butter.
- Add a pinch of salt
- Add few tablespoons of cold water and bring everything together to make a dough
- Do not over-knead the dough, just bring everything together to make a ball
- If it's too dry, pour few more tablespoons of ice-cold water.
- If it is too wet already, then add some more AP Flour and knead to make a soft dough.
- Wrap the dough with plastic wrap
- Freeze for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 30 minutes. (Freezing will get rid of all the extra moisture and will refreeze the butter, resulting in flaky pastries).
Step 2: Making the Chicken Filling
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan
- As the Oil shimmers, add chopped Onions and minced Garlic. Saute until fragrant.
- Next, add chopped Jalapenos and chopped Bell Peppers
- Also, add the shredded Chicken, Enchilada Sauce, and Spices - Ground Cumin, Paprika, Salt & Pepper.
- Toss until combined.
- Saute over low heat for 2-3 minutes. Once cooked, keep it aside.
Step 3: Making the Empanadas
- So, start by rolling the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness
- Use a cookie cutter to cut about 4" circles
- Place 1 tablespoon of the chicken filling in the center of the circle
- Place 1 teaspoon of shredded cheddar cheese over it
- Apply Eggwash around the edges of the circle
- Fold it over and seal the edges.
- Crimp the edges using a fork
- Prick the top of the Empanadas with a fork.
- Apply Eggwash over the Empanadas.
- Bake in a 450F (230C) Preheated Oven for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
You can serve these Baked Chicken Empanadas with any salad of your choice, your choice of dip or salsa.
I like to serve this with mines with -
Tex Mex Salad, or
How to make Empanadas ahead of time?
You can lay the unbaked Empanadas in a parchment paper-lined baking dish. Then wrap it up tightly with plastic wrap and then again with aluminum foil. Then freeze it. You can freeze these Empanadas for up to 2 weeks.
You do not have to thaw them before baking. Just place them in the oven and bake for 5-7 extra minutes.
How to store leftover Empanadas?
While it's really difficult to have leftovers since these are so delicious and addictive. However, if you have made a large batch and have leftovers, then you should wrap individual Empanadas with Plastic wrap and then again with aluminum foil so that it doesn't get ice crystals inside them. Freeze this for up to 3 months.
Simply thaw them overnight, unwrap and microwave until heated through in the oven.
I hope you liked this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then comment below or tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram.
For the filling
- 2 cups Shredded Chicken
- 1 medium sized Onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 cup Enchilada Sauce
- 1 medium sized Bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 cup Jalapenos finely chopped
- 2 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese divided
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Taco Seasoning
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tsp. Ground black pepper
For the Empanadas
- 2 sheets Pastry
- 2 large Eggs for eggwash
- Heat Olive Oil in a Pan. As the Oil shimmers, add chopped onion and garlic and saute until fragrant for about 2 minutes over medium-high heat. Next add the Shredded Chicken, Enchilada Sauce, Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Chopped Bell Pepper, and chopped Jalapenos. Saute until the cheese melts. Take it out in a plate and keep it aside.
- Roll the Pastry dough and use a cookie cutter to cut out 4" circles.
- Now, to assemble the Empadanas, place 1 tablespoon of the filling in the center of the Rolled dough. Top with Shredded Cheddar Cheese. Brush the edges of the circle with egg wash. Fold over and seal the edges. Use a fork to crimp the edges.
- Apply Eggwash over the Chicken Empanadas and bake them in a lined baking dish @400F for 20-25 minutes. Make sure that the Empanadas do not touch each other in the baking dish. Bake until golden brown.
- Serve crispy baked Chicken Empanadas with a homemade Avocado Dip or Guacamole.