After my favorite Broccoli casserole with Ritz Cracker and Mayonnaise, this hearty, meaty, and easy broccoli chicken soup wins me over every single time.
When I think of broccoli, I am constantly reminded of my nostalgic Grandma's Broccoli Casserole with Cream Cheese. She was a casserole sort of person. She loved making a hearty casserole in a large baking dish and serving it to a large group.
Well, what can I say? The genetics flowed, and I love casseroles. Here are my 60+ favorite Casserole recipes for dinner.
But there is something so comforting about this creamy, cheesy, and hearty cheddar broccoli soup with shredded chicken.
You can replace cooked shredded chicken with leftover turkey. By the way, did you try my - Leftover Turkey Casserole, Leftover Turkey Noodle Soup, Leftover Turkey Mushroom and Wild rice soup, or Turkey Shepherd's Pie?
- Easy Healthy Chicken Broccoli Soup 🥣
- Is broccoli soup healthy?
- Ingredients needed to make Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- How to Make Easy Chicken & Broccoli Soup
- How do you thicken broccoli soup?
- Why is my broccoli soup bitter?
- Is fresh or frozen broccoli better for soup?
- What to Serve with Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Soup?
- Can I freeze this Broccoli Soup?
- Can I make Broccoli Chicken Soup in the slow cooker?
- Fan of Hearty Soups? Do Check out:-
- Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Easy Healthy Chicken Broccoli Soup 🥣
I love broccoli for multiple reasons.
a) it has a meaty taste which appeals to my senses.
b) it's super healthy and nutritious.
c) you can do so many things with broccoli.
- Broccoli Corn Salad - Healthy salad to pair with everything.
- Blueberry Spinach Salad with Broccoli and Avocado - Fancy way to use up blueberries and avocados.
- Keto Broccoli Salad with apple cider vinegar - Super healthy Keto Salad.
- (15-min) Honey Garlic Shrimp and Broccoli - do not forget to pair seafood with broccoli; it's a delicious combination
- Broccoli Rice Casserole - The tried and tested southern comfort food.
Is broccoli soup healthy?
Yes. Broccoli cheddar soup with chicken is super healthy. Packed with the nutrition in every bite.
Full of protein and healthy carbs, you have every reason to include this soup in your meal, if you are on a healthy diet.
If you are on a keto diet, then you must check out these Easy Keto Recipes for Dinner
Ingredients needed to make Creamy Chicken Broccoli Soup
- coconut oil
- diced onions
- broccoli florets
- freshly minced garlic cloves
- salt & pepper
- italian seasoning
- chicken broth
- shredded rotisserie chicken
- heavy cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
How to Make Easy Chicken & Broccoli Soup
- STEP 1: Sauté onions, carrots, celery, and broccoli florets in Stainless steel covered Stock Pot until lightly browned.
- STEP 2: Add freshly minced garlic cloves and season with salt, pepper, and homemade Italian seasoning. Cook until the garlic turns fragrant.
- STEP 3: Stir in Chicken Broth, and a mixture of heavy cream and cornstarch and cook for 10-minutes on low.
- STEP 4: Stir in shredded rotisserie chicken and cook for another additional 10-minutes or until the soup thickens and becomes rich and creamy.
- STEP 5: Take it off the heat and serve with shredded cheddar cheese.
PRO TIP🎩: Serve with 1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and freshly ground black pepper for a hearty taste. ❤️
How do you thicken broccoli soup?
The easiest and the smartest way to thicken broccoli soup is to make a cornstarch slurry.
Generally, we make cornstarch slurry with cold water. But, just to make a creamy chicken cheddar broccoli soup, I like combine cornstarch with heavy cream.
You can substitute heavy cream with half and half or milk.
Check out these thick soups for a cozy winter evening:
- Thai Coconut Curry Chicken Soup - Thai flavors with rich coconut 🥥
- Sweet Potato Soup - Cold evening comforting soup.
- Thai Red Curry Noodle Soup - Thai Noodle soup with that hint of spice. 🍜
- Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup - Cozy, crockpot soup with deep Mexican flavors.
- White Bean Enchilada Soup - Talk about a healthy soup!
Why is my broccoli soup bitter?
Sometimes when we don't cook the broccoli until browned, the chicken soup with broccoli tastes bitter.
With Broccoli you got to make a creamy sauce and also cook the broccoli until browned. That way, you ensure you don't get a bitter broccoli soup.
Is fresh or frozen broccoli better for soup?
You can use frozen broccoli to make this broccoli cheddar chicken soup. But, fresh broccoli would give you a heartier, meatier, and cozier texture.
If you are using frozen broccoli, make sure you thaw it out in the refrigerator and thoroughly wash the florets before using.
What to Serve with Cheesy Broccoli Chicken Soup?
You can serve this soup with:
Can I freeze this Broccoli Soup?
No. This Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Soup is not freezer friendly.
Since the soup contains heavy cream, I don't recommend freezing this.
But you can refrigerate the soup for a few days. At most 3 days.
Allow the soup to cool down completely, and then transfer it to an air-tight container. Refrigerate for 3-days.
But here are few freezer-friendly soups that you can make:
Can I make Broccoli Chicken Soup in the slow cooker?
This recipe for cheddar chicken broccoli soup is fantastic in the slow cooker.
Add everything to the slow cooker and cook on HIGH for 2 hours or on LOW for 4 hours.
Fan of Hearty Soups? Do Check out:-
- Chicken Pot Pie Soup
- Instant Pot Lasagna Soup with Ground Beef
- Lemon Spinach Orzo Soup
- Creamy Chicken Gnocchi Soup
Chicken Broccoli Cheddar Soup
- 1 tablespoon Coconut Oil
- 1 cup Yellow Onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and chopped
- 4 ribs celery finely chopped
- 1 cup broccoli cut into small florets
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper as per taste
- 1 tablespoon italian seasoning
- 5 cups chicken broth fresh or store bought
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream can be replaced with half & half or milk
- 4 cups shredded chicken 1½ pounds of chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice optional for garnish
- Heat coconut oil in a stock pot over medium heat. Once the oil shimmers, add diced onions, carrots, celery, and broccoli. Cook until browned or for about 10 minutes.
- Add fresh minced garlic along with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Cook until the garlic turns fragrant or about 30 to 45 seconds.
- In a bowl combine cornstarch and heavy cream. Whisk until smooth. Keep aside.
- Pour chicken stock and cornstarch heavy cream mixture into the stock pot. Cook on medium-low, often stirring, for about 5 minutes or until the soup thickens and becomes rich and creamy.
- Add in shredded chicken and cook for an additional 10 minutes stirring often.
- Serve with shredded cheddar cheese, lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper.