Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies is cute and delicious mini Blueberry and Cream Cheese hand pies made with canned pie filling and a homemade Hand pie dough. This is such an easy and delicious recipe. You can make these Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies in the oven or you can fry these hand pies and serve with some dusted sugar on top beside some vanilla ice cream!
The most special part about these Blueberry Hand Pies is the creamy cream cheese surprise you'll have below the juicy Blueberries. Once these get baked the cream cheese gets warm and even more creamy and it tastes so delicious!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies
Hello guys! Happy Saturday to you! As promised I'm back with another fun baking project for the weekend. Since it's the middle of summers and my kids are all about berries in this season, today I'll share one of our family favorite Hand Pie recipe - Mini Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies!
Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pie is one of my favorite summer berry recipes apart from my Berry Lasagna, Blueberry Muffins and Blueberry Crumb Cake. The other day, while shopping I picked up this big tub of Blueberry Pie Filling and I have been testing recipes with it ever since. However, out of all the recipes, this is one of my favorites.
The fondest memories of Blueberry Hand Pies is that which my Mom made especially around summer holidays. She used to make the pie filling with some lemon sugar and Nuts. It's quite surprising to people here because they do not make it with nuts. However, you should pair Blueberry with Almonds. It just tastes so amazing with it. Also, my mom used to make it with mixed berries such as with Raspberries or sometimes with bananas and also with Jam.
Over the years I have been making this Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies so many times over the years. I have made this with Apricots, Peaches, and of course with mixed berries.
I just love to add Cream Cheese to my Hand Pies. It makes it even more creamy and cheesy and in fact, it enhances the flavors of the berry pie filling even more!
I have made this Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand Pies with canned Pie filling. Canned Pie filling is a bit sweeter than homemade Pie filling. You can find how to make homemade Blueberry Pie filling here.
I have not used Eggwash to brush over my Hand Pies. I don't like the taste of Eggwash. So, I have brushed my Hand Pies with whole milk. Milk is the replacement for Eggwash. In Pies or Scones to get the gorgeous golden brown glaze, you can use milk as an alternative for Eggwash. It tastes crunchy and crispy and of course, gives your pies the beautiful glaze atop.
How to make Hand Pie Dough at home
Although you can make Hand pies or Turnovers with store-bought Pastry sheet. However, you can easily make your own at home and freeze it for up to 3 months and use it later.
Step 1: Combine Flour with some Granulated sugar. The ratio of flour to sugar is 2:1. Which are 2 cups of Flour needs only 1 Tablespoon of granulated sugar! You can of course add more sugar if you need it sweeter.
Step 2: Once you've combined these two you can add about 1/2 stick of cold butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes. It's very important to add cold butter while you're making a hand pie or turnover dough as this will account for the crispiness of your Pie or Turnovers. Since I have used salted butter so I have not added any extra salt. If you are using unsalted butter you can add about 1/4 teaspoon of salt in your dough mix. Combine everything in a food processor or using a pastry cutter or two forks until you work up your mix to pea-sized crumbs.
Step 3: Add about 4-5 Tablespoon of Coldwater and combine everything to make a dough. Do not knead the dough. Just pull everything together to make a big dough ball. You can also place everything on a plastic wrap and then bring all the edges to the center to make a ball. It'll be so easy this way.
Step 4: Chill the dough. If you're to use the dough right away chill the dough for 30-40 minutes covered or wrapped in a plastic wrap in the freezer. You can also refrigerate it for 2 hours or overnight and then use it. Or you can make it and freeze it covered and wrapped for up to 3 months to use it later.
How to make perfect Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand pies
You can make this Blueberry Hand Pie without Cream Cheese as well. However, I don't think there is any point in not using Cream Cheese. Cream Cheese adds a nice creamy and cheesy after flavor to your Hand pies and that tastes so good. Nevertheless, if you do not have cream cheese at home you can go ahead and skip it.
Step 1: Make the hand pie dough and chill it in the freezer for 30 minutes. Allow it to come to room temperature before you use it. Roll the dough over a silicone mat or a flour-dusted surface as that it will make it so easy to pick up your discs.
Step 2: Use a cookie cutter or cut your hand pies in any shape you wish to.
Step 3: Top it with cream cheese. Even it with the back of your spoon and then add a spoon of blueberry pie filling in them. Top them with the remaining discs.
Step 4: Use the tip of a fork to pinch and make marks on the edges of your hand pies. Make a cross or mark over your hand pies. This will make sure that these Hand pies do not burst inside when they are baking in the oven.
Brush it over with milk or egg wash. Sprinkle some coarse sugar over these hand pies and bake them for 24-25 minutes at 400For 200C. It's always a great idea to use a silicone or rubber mat to line your baking tray or else these hand pies do tend to get stuck on parchment paper. If at all you have used Parchment Paper and these Hand pies are getting stuck to it, quickly remove it while it's still warm and peel off the paper.
How to store these Blueberry Cream Cheese Hand pies?
You can store them in an airtight container for up to 3-4 days. You can store it in the freezer for 2-3 weeks, Before having them heat them at full power for 30-50 seconds and they'll be good to eat.
You can make Gluten Free Blueberry Hand Pies by using your favorite Gluten-Free Flour.
You can make Blueberry Pie with frozen berries as well. Do not thaw them.
You can make this same pie using mixed berries such as Blueberry, Raspberries, and Blackberries or with Lemon Blueberries or using Peaches as well. Making the pie filling is so easy. It's just combining the berries with lemon juice, lemon zest, granulated sugar, and some cornstarch. Stir over low heat until it thickens and then cool it before you use it for the filling!
See, its that easy! Isn't this a really fun and exciting recipe to make at home for the weekend. Do make this recipe and tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram if you happen to make it. I'll be looking forward to your views on this! Until then, Happy Weekend guys!
Blueberry Cream Cheese hand Pies
- 1½ Cup Whole Wheat Flour
- 2 Tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Salted Butter Chilled - cut into ½inch cubes
- 4 Tablespoon Ice Cold Water
- ½ Cup Blueberry Pie Filling
- ½ Cup Cream Cheese 1 Teaspoon on each
- 3 Tablespoon Milk for brushing
- 3 Tablespoon Coarse Sugar for topping
- Preheat your oven to 400°F OR 200°C and line a 9x11" baking tray with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
Making the Hand Pie Dough
- Mix flour with sugar until its well combined. Add cold butter cubes and mix it using a pastry cutter or two folks until they combine to form pea-sized crumbs.Add Ice-Cold water and bring everything together to make a soft dough. Wrap it with a plastic wrap and bring it together. Make a ball. Or Just bring it all together and cover with a lid. Freeze the covered dough for 30-minutes.
Making the Hand Pies
- Get the dough out and allow it to come down to room temperature for 10-12 minutes. Flour your rolling board or a silicone mat. Roll the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness on all sides. Dust some flour if the dough is sticking to the rolling pin. Roll even from all sides. Use a round 2-3 inch sized cookie cutter and cut out hand pie shapes. At this point, you can also use any shape of cookie cutter you wish to.
- Line the hand pies on a parchment paper-lined baking tray. Top them with, cream cheese and even it out with the back of your spoon. Then spoon the blueberry pie filling over this and cover with another disc. Pinch the sides and use the tip of the fork to make marks around the hand pie. Use a sharp knife to make small marks such as an "X" over your hand pies, letting out a bit of the filling so that it doesn't burst out. Brush the hand pies with milk and sprinkle coarse sugar on the top. You can also replace milk with egg wash if you want.
- Bake your hand pies for 24 minutes at 400°F or 200°C. Get them out of the baking tray. Serve with some Vanilla Ice Cream. Enjoy.
- You can learn how to make Homemade Blueberry Pie Filling Here.
- This can be made with frozen blueberries as well. You can also combine blueberries with Almonds and a bit of Almond extract.
- You can also make a mixed berry hand pie by combining blueberry with raspberry and blackberry.
- If you are using frozen blueberries do not thaw them.
- Milk is just a replacement for egg wash here.
- The coarse sugar on the top ensures crunchy bites.
- This can also be made without using cream cheese.
- This can also be made using store-bought pastry sheets.
- To make it gluten-free use your favorite gluten-free variety of flour.
- You can also get them fried. First, pour about 3-inch oil in a deep saucepan. Heat it to approximately 375°F and add just two hand pies at once. Fry one side for just 90 seconds. Flip it over and repeat the same. If your oil is too hot, your handpies will get brown in a jiff.