Black Pepper Mushroom Masala or Kali Mirch Mushrooms is a quick and easy dinner recipe that is bursting with earthy, smoky Kali Mirch or black pepper flavors.
Kali Mirch Mushrooms
Kali Mirch Mushrooms has a distinct flavor that you want to remember for years to come. Black Pepper has a sharp taste that you cannot ignore. And, this Mushroom Pepper Masala recipe is entirely based on Pepper.
There is no use of coriander powder (dhania powder) or Red Chili Powder (smoked paprika) in this recipe.
Recipe for Black Pepper Mushrooms
In this Mushroom Masala recipe, what I have done is roasted the Mushrooms and kept them aside. Roasting the mushrooms improves the flavors and adds a beautiful flavor to this gravy.
Secondly, I have sautéed few whole spices to add a fragrant touch to the base of this gravy. Once I have sautéed the whole spices, I have added diced onions, ginger, garlic, and green chilies. lastly, I have added diced tomatoes and cooked until it turns mushy.
And, that's it.
The best part about this recipe is the fresh and aromatic curry leaves along with a drizzle of fresh cream.
Curry leaves have a sharp aroma which changes the game altogether. And, you cannot ignore the fresh cream. The creamy fresh cream brings everything together and adds a creamy touch to the otherwise spicy Mushroom Masala recipe.
Ingredients You'll Need to Make this recipe
The recipe for Kali Mirch Mushrooms needs few basic ingredients:
Mushrooms - This recipe calls for button mushrooms. You can use fresh or canned button mushrooms.
Whole Spices - Laung, Dalchini and Elaichi
Onions - I have diced the onions. If you want you can chop them finely as well.
Ginger - Ginger has an earthy taste which makes the gravy taste amazing.
Garlic - Garlic has a beautiful sharp taste which adds a kick to the recipe.
Green Chilies - Since we are not adding any red chili flakes or red chili powder, few slit green chilies are important to add that spicy touch to the recipe.
Tomatoes - Adding some diced tomatoes at the end adds thickness to the gravy.
Spices - I have added just a few spices which are Kali Mirch or Black Pepper, Salt, and some Ground Cumin or Jeera Powder.
Fresh Cream - Just a touch of Fresh cream adds a creamy touch to this gravy.
Curry leaves - Just a sprig of aromatic curry leaves makes the Black pepper Mushroom taste amazing.
How to Make Black Pepper Mushrooms
STEP 1: Sautê Mushrooms in a pan
In a pan heat some oil. Into that add sliced button mushrooms. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat until they turn crispy and golden brown on the edges. Once done, take them out and keep them aside.
STEP 2: Sauté whole Spices
In the same pan add Dalchini (cinnamon sticks), Elaichi (cardamom), and Laung (cloves). Allow them to release flavors on medium-high heat for 10-seconds.
Then add Chopped Ginger, minced Garlic, and slit Green Chilies. Sauté for 30-45 seconds until the garlic turns aromatic.
STEP 3: Sauté Onions until translucent
Now add diced Onions. Sauté onions until translucent. This step takes time. So, I would urge you to stay patient but keep a close eye on your onions.
STEP 4: Sauté Diced Tomato
In the same pan add diced tomato and sauté them on medium-low heat until they turn mushy.
STEP 5: Add Spices to the Mushroom Masala Gravy
In the same pan, add the spices. I have kept the recipe simple and have just added three basic spices - salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Toss well to combine and cook the spices.
STEP 6: Add Mushrooms and Curry leaves
Finally, add roasted Mushrooms and curry leaves. Toss well to combine.
Finally, I have garnished this with Fresh Cream and added a few curry leaves to make it look better.
Other recipes you can try:
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms (Low Carb)
- Mushroom Fettuccine (No Cream)
- Mushroom Pizza with Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese
- Cream Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms
- Creamy Garlic Parmesan Mushrooms (Low Carb)
- Sriracha Balsamic Glazed Mushrooms
If you like this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik and let me know how it turned out.
Mushroom Pepper Masala - Pepper Fry Mushrooms
- 250 grams Mushrooms
- 1 tbsp. Vegetable Oil or canola oil for roasting Mushrooms and making gravy
- 1 stick Cinnamon or Dalchini broken in half
- 2 pods Cardamom or Elaichi open the cover and add directly
- 2-3 pieces Cloves or Laung
- 3 small Green Chilies slit
- 1 medium Onion diced
- 1 inch Ginger finely chopped
- 4-5 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 medium tomato finely chopped
- 1 tsp. Cumin Powder or Jeera Powder
- 1 tsp. Ground Black Pepper or Kali mirch Powder
- Salt as per taste
- 2 tbsp. Fresh Cream OPTIONAL
- 1 Sprig Curry leaves
- In a pan heat some oil. As the oil gets hot, add mushrooms. Fry mushrooms until golden brown and crispy on the sides. This takes around 3-4 minutes on medium high heat. Take them out of the pan and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add whole spices - Cinnamon, Cardamom, and Cloves. Add Minced Garlic and Chopped Ginger along with slit green chilies. Sauté until fragrant.
- Now add diced onions and sauté until they turn golden brown.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook until they turn mushy.
- Now add spices - Ground Cumin, Salt, and Black Pepper. Toss well to combine.
- Finally add Mushrooms and curry leaves. Toss until combined. Add some water and scrape everything from the bottom of the pan. Allow the curry to simmer for 2-3 minutes or until it thickens. Garnish with fresh cream and serve immediately.
Ask Me Anything