Black Bean Taquitos with Cream Cheese is a creamy, crunchy, crispy, cheesy Tex-Mex snack that hits all the right spots. Serve it with Guacamole and you have a perfect little snack ready to be munched on.
Don't miss these Vegan Taquitos.
Black Bean Taquitos has become so popular these days. It's like the new thing today. In my home, we love this recipe. My husband loves the nuttiness of black beans. We generally use canned black beans (drained and rinsed) to make this recipe. But, feel free to use fresh black beans (soaked for 8-10 hours, drained, and rinsed).
But, what hits me more, is the typical Mexican flavors. The use of Chipotle pepper in Adobo Sauce along with Green Enchilada sauce and hot sauce makes it hot and spicy. Moreover, there is dried oregano to add a herby taste to the palette.
Black Bean Taquitos - Quickiest & Easiest Meal for dinner
This recipe for Black Bean Cream Cheese Taquitos is like the easiest recipe in the world. All you have to do is just combine, spoon and fry. If you are looking for some quick meals that take just a few minutes then this is it. You can fry them in a skillet or you can bake them up until crispy or you can simply Air Fry these taquitos (separate instructions for all included below)
Just add shredded chicken or beef or pork and make it a complete dinner.
- Black Bean Taquitos - Quickiest & Easiest Meal for dinner
- Ingredients Needed for Black Bean Taquitos
- For Taquitos
- Instructions with Step by Step Images
- Baked Taquitos
- Air Fryer Taquitos
- Make Ahead Instructions
- Top Tip
- Recipe Card
- Black Bean Taquitos with Cream Cheese
Ingredients Needed for Black Bean Taquitos
These are the ingredients you will need to make Black bean Cream Cheese Taquitos.
Filling for Taquitos
- canned black beans - drained and rinsed.
- green enchilada sauce
- hot sauce
- chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- onion powder, garlic powder
- dried oregano
- cream cheese
- Corn Tortillas or Flour Tortillas
- Olive Oil or Avocado Oil
See the recipe card for quantities. And, check out the video for a visual.
Instructions with Step by Step Images
Step 1: Make Taquito Filling
In a medium-sized mixing bowl combine the ingredients for Black Bean Cream Cheese Taquitos.
Step 2: Place in Tortillas and Wrap
Spoon about 2 tablespoons of filling into the tortillas. Wrap it up tightly. Seal it with a toothpick.
Step 3: Fry in Oil
Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons of Avocado oil. Add Taquitos in a single layer. Fry for a couple of minutes. Flip over and cook the other side as well. OR BAKE
To Bake Taquitos, just place them in a sheet pan (9x13"). Spray non stick cooking spray over them and bake @400F for 5-7 min or until golden brown.
Make sure both sides look absolutely crispy and golden brown. Place them on a baking dish lined with a paper towel.
Hint: Seal the taquitos with a toothpick so that they don't fall apart while frying.
- Vegan Cream Cheese - I love using Tofutti better than cream cheese when I want to make vegan black bean taquitos. It is absolutely dairy-free and one of the best alternatives to cream cheese.
- Gluten-Free Tortillas - Either you can make your own gluten-free tortillas or you can buy it from any store. I haven't tried this recipe with gluten-free tortillas so I cannot tell you how it would taste. If you try, do let me know.
I love eating Baked Taquitos. They use just 1-2 tablespoons of oil. Instead of brushing the taquitos with Olive oil or canola oil, I brush them with Avocado oil. It has a nutty taste and has a high smoke point.
Place them in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush oil on the taquitos. Bake in a preheated oven at 425°F or 220°C for 15-minutes.
Air Fryer Taquitos
I love Air Fryer Taquitos. You can fry them or you can bake them but the crispiest taquitos come from Air Fryer. This is absolutely a no-brainer.
Air Fryer Taquitos are way crispier than baked or fried ones. All you have to do is just place them in the Air Fryer basket.
Brush some Avocado oil on the taquitos.
And, then just Air Fry at 400°F or 200°C for 9-minutes. Flip over and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
In about 15-minutes your crispy Air Fryer Taquitos will be absolutely ready.
If you wish to store these taquitos then don't cook them all the way. Stop when they are like 70% done.
Allow them to cool down completely.
Then wrap them up tightly with plastic wrap and transfer them to a freezer bag. They will last up to 2-3 months if stored properly.
Reheat: To reheat your taquitos just place them in a baking dish. Brush some more oil on the taquitos. Bake them at 350°F or 180°F for 20-minutes or until completely warmed through and crispy.
Make Ahead Instructions
Just make the taquito filling ahead of time and wrap it with plastic wrap. Cool it down to room temperature and then refrigerate it.
The next morning, place it in a tortilla, wrap it up tightly and get it fried.
- Add Shredded Chicken or beef chunk roast or Pork and make it a complete meal.
- You can also add some frozen corn (thawed and defrosted) for the taquito filling.
- Instead of making taquitos you can use this filling to make tacos or quesadillas.
Worried about Taquitos falling apart in the oil, why not seal them up using a toothpick. Or better, don't put too much filling in the tortillas.
I don't recommend preheating your Air Fryer. I would suggest you place your taquitos in a cold air fryer or else the taquitos would get too crispy and the food on the inside might remain uncooked. Therefore it is better if you put it directly in your Air Fryer.
if you are making this recipe, then please leave a rating below. Snap it and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik. Tag me @recipemagik and let me know how this turned out.
Black Bean Taquitos with Cream Cheese
Filling for Taquitos
- 2 cans Black Beans drained and rinsed (15-ounces)
- 1 can green enchilada sauce 10-ounces
- 1½ cup hot sauce
- 1 can chipotle pepper in adobo sauce (7-ounce can)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder or 1 medium onion finely chopped (yellow or red)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or 4 cloves of minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 6 large corn tortillas or flour tortillas I used 6-inch tortillas
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil to sear taquitos
For Garnish (OPTIONAL)
- freshly chopped cilantro
- sriracha hot sauce
- shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the ingredients for taquito filling in a medium-sized mixing bowl. Use a spoon to combine everything together.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the black bean cream cheese mixture in a straight line on one side of the tortilla. Roll it up tightly. Use a toothpick to secure.
- Heat a skillet with 2 tablespoons of avocado oil. Add taquitos in a single layer. Do not overcrowd the skillet. Fry for few seconds and then flip over. Keep rotation until they look crispy golden brown on the outside. Place them on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Brush the tops of taquitos with cooking spray or brush them with Avocado oil. Place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Bake for 15-20 minutes until they look crispy on the outside
Air Fryer taquitos
- Place taquitos in the Air fryer basket. Make sure they don't touch each other. Brush the top of taquitos with Avocado oil. Cook at 400°F or 200°C for 6-9 minutes. Flip over, brush some more oil on the taquitos and cook for an additional 3-5 minutes.
- Make sure you use canned black beans which have "no-salt" added and are in a can that's BPA-Free.
- You can add shredded chicken or pork or beef chuck roast to make it a complete meal.
- If you want you can add some frozen corn (thawed, drained, and rinsed) into the taquito filling.
- If you don't want to make taquitos you can use the same filling for tacos or quesadillas.
- For an earthy tone, you can add 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin.
- If you want to store them then don't bake them or fry them all the way. Once they are like 70% done, take them out and cool them down completely. Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to a freezer bag. You can freeze these taquitos for 2-3 months.
- To reheat place them on a baking sheet. Brush them with oil and grease them with cooking spray. Bake at 350°F for 15-minutes or until completely heated through and crispy again.
- You can also reheat your taquitos in your Air Fryer. At this time, it is important that you preheat your Air Fryer to 400°F OR 200°C and then cook for 6-7 minutes (no flipping required)
- To Make it ahead of time you can prepare the black bean cream cheese mixture and then cover it with plastic wrap. You can refrigerate the mixture and then the next morning you can make fresh taquitos.