The Best Flank Steak Marinade creates tender, Juicy, Melt-in-your-mouth, succulent steaks with tons of flavor something that'll make your guests come back for more! 🥰
😍BEST PART - Minimal effort, zero cleanup, and exceptionally versatile!
The Marinade is so simple. Just a combination of Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Balsamic Vinegar, Maple Syrup, Lemon Juice, Light Soy Sauce, and Seasonings. 😋😋
Just Marinate your steaks and Grill. (I've included Stovetop and Oven directions as well)
And, it's not necessary that you have to use this cut of Meat. You can use a Skirt steak or a T-Bone Steak or Flap Steak or Flat Iron Steak.
FYI: Some Butchers use the term "London Broil" for Flank Steaks.
😍 Why I LOVE a Flank Steak?
- Really Lean Cut of Steak which actually comes from the underbelly of the cow. There is actually no fat in this cut. All you have is pure meaty and beefy taste which is purely delicious.
- Robust, Flavorful, Beefy taste - There are some cuts which have a mild taste. But, Flank Cuts is one of those cuts which have a flavorful, beefy taste.
FLANK STEAK RECIPE with Balsamic Marinade
Here is one of the best grilled protein - grilled marinated flank steaks perfect for 4th of July.
I love Grilled Flank Steaks. In fact, it is one of my favorite.
It takes just few minutes to make the marinade and then another 10-15 minutes to grill the steaks.
Within 20-minutes you have a tasty, succulent, juicy steak dinner served.
Flank Steaks have a bad reputation of being tough, dry, and chewy. But, not anymore.
With this Best Flank Steak Marinade you'll have tender, juicy, succulent grilled steaks.
🤔Why is it important to marinate steaks?
In the past, marinades were used to preserve the meat. Make it taste juicy, and succulent even after storing it for a long time.
But, these days, marinades are used to impart and infuse a deep, rich, and robust flavor to the meat.
MYTH BUSTER: Does Marinating the Meat tenderize it?
The answer is YES and NO. Marinade does penetrate the skin of the Meat. But just the outer layer. If you Marinate for longer time, it does tenderize the outer layer of the meat.
Basically enzymes help break down the protein. And, that's how you get a juicy, succulent flank steak.
It doesn't necessarily has any role in tenderizing the meat to the inside. All it does is flavorize the meat. Makes it taste better.
However, if you like to flavor the meat completely, you might want to cut it into small pieces before you marinate it.
🤔 How to Make Flank Steak Marinade recipe like bobby flay?
Well, Bobby Flay is an incredible Chef. And, I certainly cannot make Flank Steaks like him.
But, yeah I can certainly share with you how I make my Flank Steaks in two ways.
STEP 1: Make the Marinade
- Take a medium-sized mason jar.
- Add Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Low Sodium Soy Sauce, Balsamic Vinegar, Maple Syrup or Honey, Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard, finely minced garlic, smoked paprika or red pepper flakes OR Cayenne, onion powder, freshly chopped parsley, and some lemon juice.
STEP 2: Marinate in the Refrigerator
- Transfer to the marinade to a freezer-friendly ziplock bag.
- Add in Flank Steaks.
- Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours or up to 12 hours.
- Don't skip the marination process. Its extremely important for you to get a juicy, tender, and delicious flank steak.
Flank Steaks in the Oven
STEP 3: Place it in the broiler for 8-10 minutes for medium-rare
Medium-Rare - 8-minutes is enough for about a pound and a half of flank steak (if you want it medium-rare).
Medium - You want to put your pan in the broiler for 10-minutes if you want it medium.However, if you would like it well-done, then you can cook it for about 12-minutes.
Flank Steaks in the Outdoor Grill
STEP 3: Preheat the Gas Grill about 450-500 degrees
Make sure your Gas grill is clean before you preheat it.
Preheat your gas grill to about 450 degrees to 500 degrees.
STEP 4: Grill
Medium-rare: Use a pair of tongs to place the marinated flank steaks on the grill. Grill steaks for 5-6 minutes per side or until it reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees F.
Medium: If you'd like it Medium, then grill steaks for a few minutes more.
NOTE: Grill time will vary depending upon the thickness and size of your steaks. And, also on your desired level of doneness.
Pan Seared Flank Steak
STEP 5: Place the Flank Steaks directly on a Cast-iron Grill Pan
3-4 minutes each sides is enough for a pound and a half of flank steak. This is enough for a good medium-rare flank steak.
One of the most important tip while cooking it on a cast-iron skillet or an indoor grill is to not lift it up every minute to check for doneness.
Allow the caramelization to happen. The more you lift it, air penetrates the surface which agitates the searing process.
💯 Tips and Tricks
- Pat dry the meat with a paper towel. You don't want your steak to have water droplets.
- Score the meat in a criss cross pattern using a sharp knife. The cuts should be at least 1/8" deep but less than 1/4".
- Pat dry once again once marinated. This will help the caramelization process.
- Season Flank Steaks with salt and pepper liberally before placing it on the grill. This is really important. Because most of the seasoning will fall off.
- Oil the grill grates liberally with a paper towel and a pair of tongs.
- Don't lift up every single minute to check the doneness of the meat. This agitates the grilling process.
- Once cooked, make sure you rest the meat. This helps the meat redistribute its juices.
🤔 How to Marinate Flank Steaks to make it tender?
What is the best way to tenderize flank steak? How do you cook flank steak so it's not tough? The answer to this lies in few common practises.
- Score the flank steaks in a criss cross pattern before marinating it. Make sure you use a sharp knife and make a cut that is at least 1/8" (3.1mm) deep but less than 1/4" (6.5mm).
- Let the steak marinate for few hours before grilling. This gives time to the enzyme to break the protein, which tenderize the meat.
- Before grilling make sure you season your steaks with salt and pepper.
- Get it out of the grill few minutes before it reaches an internal temperature of 130F. This is because the steak will continue to cook even when you take it out. And, eventually, it will reach that temperature. So ideally, get it out at 130 degrees.
- Allow the meat to rest before slicing it.
Should flank steak be marinated?
Of course yes. Flank Steaks should definitely be marinated. I like to use some acid while marinating. Lime or lemon juice can be an excellent addition to the flank steak marinade.
You can also use cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar as well.
Along with that, to flavorize the meat, I recommend, using some honey or maple syrup along with Worcestershire Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Olive oil, and Seasonings.
What is the best way to tenderize flank steak?
I think the best way to tenderize flank steak is to allow the meat to marinate long enough.
If you are able to get the meat marinate for about 12-hours it's simply the best.
Moreover, make sure you score the meat before marinating. It helps the juices seep into the meat.
How long is too long marinating flank steak?
More than 12 hours is too long to marinate flank steaks. There is acid in the marinade. If you marinate your meat for long enough (more than 24 hours to 2 days) the acid in the marinade will break the fiber of the meat and make it mushy.
Should flank steak be scored before marinating?
YES. YES. And a thousand times YES. Although its a long forgotten technique but, I use it till date.
You must always score your flank steak before marinating. This creates the most tender and juicy grilled steaks.
Use a sharp knife to score your Flank steaks in a criss cross pattern. But don't cut all the way through to the bottom.
The cuts should be at least 1/8 inches deep but less than 1/4 inches deep.
More Grilled Dinner Recipes
- Balsamic Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Drumsticks
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Wraps
- Grilled Chimichurri Chicken
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Skewers
- Greek Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Grilled Teriyaki Chicken
- Grilled Chicken Tacos
Best Flank Steak Marinade Recipe (Oven or Gas Grill or Stove Top)
- 1½ pound flank steaks
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce low sodium
- 4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons finely minced garlic or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Cayenne or smoked paprika or red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons Brown Sugar or pure Maple Syrup or Honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup fresh chopped parsley
- Salt and Freshly ground black pepper as per taste (be generous because most of it will fall off in the grill)
- Pat dry flank steak with a paper towel. Use a sharp knife to score your Flank steaks in a criss cross pattern. But don't cut all the way through to the bottom.The cuts should be at least 1/8 inches deep but less than 1/4 inches deep.
- In a mason jar combine the ingredients for the flank steak marinade. Shake well. Transfer to a freezer-friendly ziplock bag, keeping 2 tablespoons of marinade aside. Add the flank steak. Squeeze out excess air and seal the bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 2-12 hours.
- Remove Flank steak from refrigerator. Preheat outdoor grill to 450-500 degrees. Make sure your Gas grill is clean before you preheat it. Oil the grill grates liberally with a paper towel and a pair of tongs.
- Remove flank steak from ziplock bag and season with salt and pepper generously. Transfer to the preheated gas grill.
- Use a pair of tongs to transfer flank steaks on the grill. Grill for 5-6 minutes per side for medium-rare or until it reaches an internal temperature of 135 degrees F. If you would like it medium then grill for a few minutes more.Read the Blog Post to know how to make it in the oven or stove top.NOTE: Grill time will vary depending upon the thickness and size of your steaks. And, also on your desired level of doneness.
- Transfer steaks to a cutting board. Allow the meat to rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing. This will allow the juices to redistribute. Use a sharp knife to slice the steak into thin strips against the grain. You can also cut them into small cubes. Drizzle the remaining marinade that you had saved in step 2. Serve right away.