Turkish Beef Shish Kebabs are one of the tastiest Summer Dinner recipes. Juicy and tender pieces of Beef with colorful grilled veggies is something straight from heaven. Super easy, delightful and bursting with Middle Eastern flavors in every bite!
These Steak Kabobs are perfect for Father's Day Dinner which everyone will love!
For a low carb alternative serve these Beef Shish Kebabs with Quinoa pilaf with cranberries and almonds
FEEL GOOD STEAK KABOBS
Turkish BEEF SHISH KEBABS (STEAK KABOBS)
Juicy grilled Beef chunks, marinated with middle eastern spices and roasted until charred on the outside, while being juicy and bursting with smokey flavors on the inside, along with colorful grilled veggies is a perfect summer party meal!
- Turkish BEEF SHISH KEBABS (STEAK KABOBS)
- What does "Shish" mean in Shish Kebabs?
- Origin of Shish Kebabs
- What cut of meat is best for Shish Kabobs?
- What spices are used in the Beef Kabobs Marinade?
- How to make Beef Shish Kebabs (Steak Kababs)?
- Top Tips to make the Best Shish Kabobs
- More Kabob Recipes
- Beef Shish Kebab recipe
What does "Shish" mean in Shish Kebabs?
"Shish" literally translates to Skewers. This Turkish word, for a spit or skewer which is used to thread Lamb or Beef or Chicken which are cooked in open fire!
"Shish" means Skewers in Arabic and "Kebabs" means Grilling!
The art of cooking marinated Steaks in open fire is what gives Beef Shish Kabobs that typical smokey flavor.
All the spices gets fire roasted while the Beef is not overdone, while being perfectly charred on the outside, infused with smokey flavors of spices.
Origin of Shish Kebabs
Shish Kebabs is originally grilled Meat or Fish or Fruits or Veggies. Beef Shish Kebabs is originally a Turkish dish. It was the primary diet for Nomadic tribes who settles in today's Turkey.
Interestingly Shish Kebabs or Grilled Meat in skewers originated when Tirkish Soldiers grilled Meat in their swords in open fire during the invasion of Anatolia.
And since then it evolved.
Beef was marinated with traditional spices - Nutmeg, Cardamom, Cumin, Coriander, Allspice & Smoked Paprika to get rid of impurities and also get rid of the gamey flavor to it.
Then it was fire roasted.
Today you find the same Shish Kebabs but with different names in different region.
Like its Satay in Thailand, brochettes in French, and yakitori in Japanese. These are all forms of Fire Roasted Meat in skewers.
What cut of meat is best for Shish Kabobs?
- Top Sirloin or Sirloin Tips, is the best cut of Beef you can use for the juiciest meat. Also this is cheap!
- Beef Tenderloin or Fillet Mingon - This is unabashedly the best cut of Beef for Shish Kabobs. Its lean and tender. And when you marinate it for a few hours it so good. Although its a bit expensive!
What spices are used in the Beef Kabobs Marinade?
Beef is generally marinated with spices and stored in the a ziplock bag in the refrigerator.
Ideally you should marinate overnight. However, you can also marinate from 30 min to 1 hour and use it.
How to make Beef Shish Kebabs (Steak Kababs)?
STEP 1: PREP THE SKEWERS
- Soak the Skewers in water for 30 min before use.
STEP 2: MARINATE THE BEEF
- In a mixing bowl, combine Olive Oil with Salt, Red Wine, and Lemon Juice
- In another mixing bowl, add the spices - Garlic Powder, Nutmeg, Cardamom, Cumin, Coriander, Allspice & Smoked Paprika. Toss to combine.
- Add both these marinate over the Beef. Use your hands to marinade the meat. Cover and refrigerate overnight or for at least an hour.
- Remove from the refrigerator and keep at room temp for 30 minute before grilling.
STEP 3: GRILL
- Lightly grease the gates of your Gas Grill and heat for 10 min on high
- Thread the Meat and Veggies alternatively in the skewers.
- Place the kebabs on the Grill and grill for 8-10 min
- Turn frequently and brush the meat with the leftover marinade.
STEP 4: SERVE
- Allow the kabobs to cool down for 5 min and then serve!
If your using Beef Tenderloin or Sirloin Tips, then you do not need to marinate for long time. 1 hour should be enough.
Also, these cuts of Meat, do not need cooking for a long time. Just remember to cook for 8-10 min over high heat!
Top Tips to make the Best Shish Kabobs
- If you're using tougher cut of Beef, you need to marinate it for at least 8-10 hours in the refrigerator.
- Marinating Meat overnight will give you the best results.
- Use similar sized chopped veggies
- Use Bell Peppers (red or orange) and Red Onions (diced)
- Use your hands to work the meat with the Marinade.
- Remember to soak the skewers (bamboo or wooden) in water for 30 min before use.
- Heat the Grill to high for 10 min before use.
- The best trick to Grill tender beef is cook it quickly at high heat. This will prevent them from overcooking and getting chewy.
- Do not discard the leftover spice marinade. Use it to brush the Shish Kabobs while they are grilling to prevent them from drying out!
More Kabob Recipes
- BBQ Pineapple Chicken Kabobs
- Grilled Tofu Kabobs
- Vegan Kebabs with Homemade Peri Peri Sauce
- Grilled Buffalo Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Shrimp Skewers
- Teriyaki Chicken Skewers
Beef Shish Kebab recipe
- 3 lbs Sirloin Tip cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large Red Onion peeled and diced
- 2 large Bell Pepper red and orange (diced)
- 2 teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 teaspoon Allspice
- 1½ teaspoon Ground nutmeg
- 1½ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ½ teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1½ teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- Salt and Freshly cracked Black Pepper
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- ½ cup Red Wine dry
- 1 large Lemon juiced
- Prepare the skewers. Soak them in water for 30 min
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredints to make the marinate. Whisk until combined.
- Pour the marinade over the Beef Cubes. Combine well with your hands so that the meat gets evenly coated with the spices. Transfer in a resealable ziplock bag or cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight or for at leat 30 min to 1 hour. After refrigeration, keep it out on the counter for 30 min, before grilling.
- Lightly grease the grates of the Grill with oil. Heat it for 10 min.
- Thread the meat and vegetables alternatively in the skewers. Don't throw away the leftover marinade. Do not overcrowd the skewer. You should thread at least 4 cubes of meat in a single skewer along with the veggies. Season with more salt and pepper.
- Grill these Beef Shish Kabobs for 8-10 min. Rotate frequently. Brush with the leftover marinade between each turns so as the meat doesn't dry out.
- After it gets grilled, cool down the Shish kabobs for 5 minutes before you serve this.