Apples and Coconut come together to make the most amazing recipe in the world. It is called Apple Coconut Barfi. If you are wondering what is Barfi? Then they are just basic squares. Yes! Square shaped sweets filled with goodness.
Talking about bars or squares have you seen my Salted Caramel Apple Crisp Bars or Gingersnap Crusted Pumpkin Praline Bars or Pear Coconut Chocolate bars or Blueberry Chamomile Swirl Cheesecake Bars or Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars yet?
Wondering what's a "Barfi"? Well, "Barfi" is a very Indian concept of a traditional Bar or a Square. You can simply call it Apple Coconut Bars. And, this is an excellent sweet dish. A flavorful dessert recipe that is surely gonna please the crowd.
India is a land of festivals and holidays and this time of the year is known for the most colorful and special Indian festival - Diwali. Diwali is the festival of lights in India. All homes are decorated with lights, candles, and "Diyas"(handmade earthen lamps). There are fireworks at night and everyone celebrates this special occasion with family, friends, lots of good food and lots of delicious desserts. Diwali marks the beginning of a new financial year in India and is a big fat festival.
Growing up in India, Diwali has been an inevitable part of my life. The festivities, the food, and the recipes. it's all so so so special for me.
Today on this special occasion, I'll share with you guys one of my favorite dessert recipes - Apple Coconut Barfi or Apple Coconut Squares.
Lets talk taste
These Apple Coconut Barfi have a sweet flavor of Apples and Coconuts to it. The shredded coconut adds a bite to these Barfis making them taste delicious.
Also, these are topped with chopped Nuts and that's just the best thing about this recipe.
How to Make Apple Coconut Barfi?
It takes very few ingredients to make this barfi. All you need is apples. I used honey crisp apples. We need sweet apples for this recipe. So even a pink lady would be a good idea. But, make sure your apples are not tarty. Apart from apples, we'll need ghee or clarified butter. Basically, a fat to sear the grated apples.
Next, we need some Cardamom. We peel off the skin of cardamom and just used the pods. In India, cardamom is very important when it comes to sweets and desserts.
We generally go for Cardamom Powder or Ground Cardamom. Cardamom has a beautiful fragrance and it brings an excellent taste to the barfi.
After that to thicken the barfi mixture in the pan we add a little shredded coconut. Coconut brings a bite as well as a crunch to this barfi recipe.
We cook the coconut lightly and then add a little sweetened condensed milk and some saffron strands. We stir it for a while and then cool down the mixture in a square tray.
Next, we refrigerator the mixture for about 24 hours and then cut it into squares.
I hope you make this recipe. If you happen to make this recipe, then please tag me with #recipemagik on Instagram. Also, comment below and rate this recipe.
Apple Coconut Barfi
- 2 Cup Grated Apples
- 2 Tablespoon Ghee
- ¼ Cup Grated Coconut
- 5-6 Large Saffron Strands
- ½ Cup Castor Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Cardamom Powder
- ¼ Cup Condensed Milk
- Wash apples and pat them dry. Grate it with the help of a box grater and keep it aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons ghee in a pan. Add grated apples. Sautee them over a low flame until they release all the water and get slightly caramelized. This takes about 2-3 minutes over low flame.
- Add ground cardamom and grated coconut. Mix well over low flame.
- Pick out a few saffron strands and add them to your pan. Mix well.
- Now add Condensed milk and castor sugar. Stir over a low flame until the mixture clumps together.
- Generously grease a dish with ghee or butter or cooking spray. Add the barfi mixture and spread it out evenly with the help of a wooden spatula or a rubber spatula. Make sure the top is completely leveled.
- Refrigerate the barfi mixture for at least 2 hours. After 2 hours cut into square or diamond-shaped pieces and serve.