Crispy Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken with Buttermilk is loaded with goodness in every bite. It is made in the Air-fryer but still, it manages to get that exact same crispy coating on the outside and a moist and tender texture on the inside, which we love about deep-fried chicken. Just like my Curry Fried Chicken (air fryer) and these crispy Air Fryer Tandoori Chicken.
You might also want to try:
- How to cook frozen chicken breasts in air fryer
- Chicken Tenders in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Chickpeas
- Air Fryer Crispy Potatoes
- Air Fryer Cauliflower Wings
Buttermilk moistens the Chicken, and when served with my homemade hot sauce, you don't need anything else. It's just finger-licking good.
Talking about Southern recipes, have you seen my
- Southern Buttermilk Biscuit
- Southern Sweet Potato Cobbler
- Southern Fried Corn
- Southern Fried Apples
- Southern Creamed Corn recipe
Well... after having this today, I was totally convinced that Southern food is literally the most comforting food of all.
It is so easy to make these Southern recipes and when the boys are back in the evening after a long day, there is nothing more amazing than this crispy Southern Fried Chicken.
You must also try:
- Sticky Pork Belly Bites Recipe in Air Fryer
- The Best Air Fryer Steaks (with Garlic Butter)
- Zucchini Pizza Bites in Air Fryer
- Air Fryer Turkey Meatballs
- Southern Fried Okra in Air Fryer
The Best Part is that these fried chicken are made in the Air-fryer. Yup! You get to skip out on all those unhealthy calories and still enjoy every bite of it.
I know as a Southerner, you might be skeptical about trying Air-Fryer for the very first time. But, trust me, it's worth it.
Every single time you make this recipe, you will feel like making it again and again. In fact, I have fallen in love with my Air Fryer. Talking about Air-Fryer, have you tried my Crispy Cajun Air-Fryer Sweet Potato Fries?
Ingredients You'll need to make Air-Fryer Southern Fried Chicken
- Chicken Pieces - I generally use Chicken breast or Thigh or Wings for this recipe. But, I would've loved to use Chicken leg pieces. Unfortunately, I didn't have those at hand at the moment.
- Buttermilk - I make my own Buttermilk at home. All I do is just mix 1 tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in 1 cup of milk. I let it sit on the counter for 5-minutes and voila! My Buttermilk is ready.
- Hot Sauce - I love adding hot sauce. You can use any variety and any brand.
- Freshly Cracked Black pepper - Always go for freshly cracked Black Pepper. It's way better than Ground black pepper which we get in the stores.
- All-Purpose Flour - This is important to get the breading right. But, make sure you don't add too much, or else it will just ruin the taste.
- Corn starch - Cornstarch soaks all the outside juice and brings a beautiful crispy coating on the chicken. Which is exactly what we want.
- Onion Powder - To bring that sweetness to our Chicken.
- Garlic Powder - To bring that earthy tone to our fried Chicken Pieces.
- Cayenne pepper - To make sure that our Chicken doesn't taste all bland. Cayenne helps the breading become spicy and tasty.
- Dried Thyme - I just love the taste of thyme.
- Dried Oregano - Oregano brings in that comforting herby taste.
- Cooking Spray - I use cooking spray to grease my air-fryer.
- Vegetable oil - I use vegetable oil to brush them onto my chicken pieces before putting them in the air-fryer.
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken Air Fryer
Basically making this recipe is pretty easy and it takes hardly much time. Especially if you are making this in an air-fryer.
- Coat your Chicken pieces in spices and flour.
- Pour Buttermilk and hot sauce. Turn it over and make sure you coat your chicken pieces evenly.
- I prefer freezing them for about 30-minutes. If it's too cold where you live you can let it stay covered on the countertop for about 45-minutes. This time will help the chicken soak in all the spices.
- Now transfer it into your air-fryer. Spray the basket of air-fryer and the chicken pieces with air-fryer. You can also brush some oil. Preheat the air-fryer to 350F or 180C for 3-minutes.
- While placing them on the air-fryer make sure you leave some gap between each chicken so that there is proper air circulation.
- Let them cook at 350 degrees F for 20-minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165F. Turn them over at the 12-minute mark but make sure you don't disturb the breading.
- Let chicken rest for 5-minutes and then serve.
How long to cook southern fried chicken in air fryer
You should cook Southern Fried Chicken in Air Fryer for at least 15 to 20 minutes.
But it also depends upon the size and the thickness of your chicken.
A thicker chicken will need more time compared to a thinner chicken.
Besides that, if you are using frozen chicken to make the southern fried chicken recipe, then it should take you a few minutes more.
More Favorite Air Fryer Recipes:
- Jalapeno Poppers in air fryer
- Air Fryer Firecracker Shrimp
- Air Fryer Eggplant Fries Recipe
- Air Fryer Corn on the Cob
- Popcorn Shrimp in Air Fryer
Other Southern Recipes You Must try:
- Creamy Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Classic Southern Blueberry Muffins
- Southern Louisiana Collard Greens Recipe "Hearty and Meaty"
- Southern Cornbread Dressing Recipe
- Southern Buttermilk Cornbread in Cast Iron Skillet
If you are making this recipe then please leave a rating below. Also, take a snap of your southern fried chicken and share it on Instagram with #recipemagik.
Air Fryer Southern Fried Chicken
- 1 4lb Whole Chicken Cut into 8 Pieces
- ½ Cup Cornstarch
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Cups Buttermilk
- ¼ Cup Hot Sauce
- 3 Teaspoon Salt
- 2 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
- 2 Teaspoon Freshly Cracked Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- Vegetable oil or cooking spray to grease the air-fryer and brush oil on the chicken
- Lemon Juice for squeezing onto the chicken once they are done
- Season Chicken with cornstarch, cayenne pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, kosher salt, freshly cracked black pepper, dried thyme, and dried Oregano. Use your hands or a kitchen tong to coat each chicken piece with the spices.
- Now pour the buttermilk and hot sauce on the chicken. Coat your chicken pieces with buttermilk and hot sauce. Now again dredge your chicken into all-purpose flour.
- Now pop it in the freezer for about 45-minutes to 1-hour. This time will help the breading set onto the chicken.
- Grease the pan of the air-fryer with cooking spray or brush with vegetable oil generously. Also, brush oil on chicken pieces. Don't leave any dry spot on the chicken with flour.Add them in the air-fryer. Preheat your air-fryer at 350F OR 180C for 3-minutes. Now, cook these chicken pieces at 350F for 20-minutes.Don't keep them too close to each other. Leave some space for the air to circulate in the air-fryer. Check at the 12-minute mark and use a kitchen tong to turn it over. Make sure you don't disturb the breading on the chicken. So do it delicately. Check the temperature of the chicken with a meat thermometer. If it reaches an internal temperature of 165F then it's done. If not, then continue to cook it for another 10-15 minutes. Timing will vary depending upon your Air-Fryer.
- Once they are done, let them cool down a bit. Serve with some hot sauce or mayonnaise, or keto ketchup. I also like to squeeze some lemon juice on my chicken pieces for that extra juiciness.
- I don't use egg for my breading. But if you want you can use 3 large beaten eggs for the coating.
- The best way to check whether your chicken is done or not is to simply use a food thermometer and check the internal temperature of the chicken. If it reached up to 165F then your chicken is done and ready to eat.
- When flipping over, make sure you don't disturb the breading.
Gina Smith says
So delicious!! So healthy fried chicken recipe!! Tried this one and everyone loved it 😊
This is really tasty! So, glad you loved it.
Alyssa Green says
Need to try this recipe for Southern fried chicken in the air fryer! Looks amazing 🤩